Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freyja5

Does this sound like too much fertilizer?

freyja5
14 years ago

I have a very small yard -- somewhere around 750 square feet of lawn. I would like to use both alfalfa and soybean throughout the year (if I understand correctly, alfalfa for root development, especially when overseeding in fall, and soybean because of the high protein benefits).

However, even if I only buy one bag of each grain each year (our feed store sells it in 44lb bags), that means in order to use it all up before winter, I'd have to fertilize a lot more often than I had originally thought:

Alfalfa: 3 x per year at ~15lb per application (which is roughly 20lb per 1000sqft)

Soybean: 4 x per year at ~10.5lb per application (which is roughly 14lb per 1000sqft)

Does this sound like way too much/often? I don't want to overwinter any grains, as I don't have a lot of room and don't relish the idea of my garage becoming infested with bugs (I am keeping my current alfalfa in tight-lidded 5 gallon pails). Also, please note that this is the first year of an organic program (I've only actually put down my first alfalfa fertilizer in late June) and my soil is terrible (compacted, clay, on top of builder's junk). For the rest of this year, I will probably just use alfalfa to use up what I have.

For next year, should I be sticking with just one type of grain, and forget about diversifying? If so, would that be soybean, and will I still get good root development from that? (especially because we often get enough rain that one area of my lawn never really gets completely dry, which I understand promotes shallow roots).

I have a mix of perennial rye, fescue and bluegrass (heavy on the fescue), and possibly some bentgrass (according to a lawn company who assessed our lawn several years ago).

I am mowing high, and watering once a week (1").

Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!