Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlaak5

more SBM?

jlaak5
16 years ago

How long should I wait between applications of SBM? I applied my very first batch about 5 weeks ago.(I am a converted synthetic guy...now trying to take care of my thatch!) My grass greened up very nice after about a 3 week period, now it appears to be losing its "green". This past week I mixed up a batch of compost tea and sprayed it on the lawn. I was thinking of waiting a week or 2 and then applying more SBM. Is this too soon?? My irrigation system is set for each zone to run 3 times @ 18 minutes each once a week.

Oh yeah.......I have KBG, ryegrass,fescue

Thanks!

Jim

Comments (7)

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

In theory, there is no wrong time to apply organic fertilizer. The lawn will not burn. As a newly organic guy (actually, still weaning myself off spot treatments of weed patches), I am doing more applications than people who are more established because:
    a) I am too into it and therefore go into withdrawal if I am not constantly planning my next application
    2) I am trying to get some microbe action going

• grayentropy
    16 years ago

Converted synthetics=more compost tea + organic material.

Hopefully you mulch mow and plan on mulching fall leaves.

As long as the organic material doesn't smoother your grass, its all good. Adding good ACT will definitely help after each application. The soilweb will find its own balance, so over doing it is less of an issue.

If you plan on reseeding in the fall (Aug/15 - Sept 15), now and a month later would be good for alfalfa meal (rabbit pellets). Follow up with soybean meal every 3-4 weeks through late October to get the best late fall, early spring dark deep green look.

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

What is the benefit of alfalfa pellets?

Is there a site/book that discusses the various things like SBM, CGM, and alfalfa and gives direction about why and when to use each?

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

The link below from the Colorado State University Extension has a ton of info about organic soil amendments. You'll have to do some digging around, but its very informative.

Here are a few that I've found useful from the link below:
    Organic Fertilizers #234-pdf
    The Living Soil #211-pdf
    Soil Amendments #241-pdf
    Choosing a Soil Amendment #7.235

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado State Extension

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Try spraying unsulfured molasses at the rate of 2 oz per 1000 sqft whenever you put soybean down. I use ortho dial for it. It will help speed things up.

• jlaak5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a pretty thick layer of thatch due to years of synthetic fertilizers. Does the SBM penetrate the thatch layer to get to the soil?

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"Does the SBM penetrate the thatch layer to get to the soil?"

You might want to core aerate first. The SBM will eventually help to get rid of the thatch layer, but core aeration pokes holes in the thatch layer and helps it decompose.