Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookie8_gw

What to do if your spouse isn't on the wagon?

cookie8
15 years ago

My husband just wants a green lawn and doesn't care how to get it. It's driving me nuts! I think I shut him up for the summer with my "Okay, let me find a dealer to pick up some steroids for you so everyone can tell me how strong and cut my husband looks." It just doesn't make sense. I pull about six bags of dandelions alone each spring but don't want to give up as we have young kids and a baby that's all over the lawn. Right now I am working on the plantains (which is endless!). I think it's coming along but we have a property that was severly neglected for about three years from the previous owners. I think he gets it but then a neighbour sprays and he's all "jealous" again. How do I get him over it? It doesn't look awful, not great either.

Comments (7)

• ronalawn82
    15 years ago

cookie8, I have always contended that regular mowing is the easiest way to have a passably good looking lawn. It is the apparent uneven height of cut caused by quicker growing weeds which jars the eye. It is almost certain that you will have to mow more frequently to achieve this.
    Isn't there is always a trade off?

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

What height is you lawn mowed at? Higher, or longer grass blades, cutting gives the blades more area to better utilize the sunlight to manufacture the nutrients that feed the grass crowns that will encourage those crowns to send out more grass leaf that will crowd out the "weeds" that might grow. The longer grass blades also will shade the soil so the "weed" seeds that might be there will not get the sunlight many need to germinate and also keep the soil cooler so those "weed" seeds that need a warmer soil to germinate will not. Then, many "weeds" give an indication of soil problems, when was the last time you had a good, reliable soil test done?

• cookie8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooh, soil test, never. I guess that can be a true first step The grass is growing really well, we are cutting once a week at about 4 inches, it stalls the lawnmower even. We have some nasty trouble spots of creeping charlie and crabgrass. I think this is where my husband has the issues. I will tackle the creeping charlie with boran and then turn that area into a shade garden and for the crabgrass I will put some corn gluten down in the spring. I will try the compost tea in the fall. Definitely after a cutting the yard looks good like ronalawn says. I did buy some "good" soil to overseed the yard in the spring but I think it was full of crabgrass as the problem got even worse after I did this. I guess I feel his frustration as I feel the same with my gardens - until I actually get down and do the dirty work that has to be done and then it looks great. Lots of work I tell you.

• organic_stevek
    15 years ago

Cookie, I think you hit on something that I suspect on my lawn.
    " I did buy some "good" soil to overseed the yard in the spring but I think it was full of crabgrass as the problem got even worse after I did this"
    New lawn (builders sod, Fescue), Scott's Organic, Milorganite, and Compost supposedly of fruit and vegatable waste from local grocery chain. The compost and fertilizers only went down on about 40% of property. (Back and wallet giving out) Tnat portion of the lawn is where the crab grass ond other wees are showing up, not in the less treated areas. I think I got weed seeds in the compost and am feeding it too well.
    Oh well, will try CGM in the spring etc.

• green_jen
    15 years ago

Cookie - I was in the same boat last year with the only difference that my husband supported the organic decision and we got his and her matching weedhounds.

I aerated and seeded last Fall rather than in the Spring - so I could be more sure that the grass would grow and the crabgrass and nutsedge would be dying off. My idea was to give the grass a head start for the next Spring. It made a huge difference this year. The crabgrass is virtually all gone and the nutsedge is less, and somehow doesn't look as bad against grass as it did against crabgrass. If I can make half as much progress again this year I'll be very pleased.

And just think, if I keep it up long enough I might be done with nutsedge too! :) Now that's wishful thinking for you!

My neighbors are slowly converting and maybe your DH will too. This Spring both sides asked what I was doing that was working so well. Maybe getting a foot up on the weeds this Fall will help your case. Good luck!

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

"What to do if your spouse isn't on the wagon?"

Lock the liquor cabinet? ;)

• greeness
    15 years ago

This might offend your spouse's sensibilities if he likes a very neat appearance, but leaving the clippings on the lawn can help provide nutrients. Hopefully getting the headstart during fall will help eliminate weeds, make your lawn happy and green and your spouse, too. But not green, LOL!

Sponsored