Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grassman84

Would you consider this organic . . .

grassman84
16 years ago

Safe and Simple Lawn Food 6-2-4. The bag claims it is "natural based" and "100% organic nitrogen sources." I don't doubt either of these claims as the ingredients are: soybean meal, sulfate of potash-magnesia, dicalcium phosphate, alfalfa meal and fish meal. So yes, it is 'natural based' and the nitrogen comes from the sbm/alfalfa/fish meals - all organic sources. BUT, I am wondering about the sulfate of potash-magnesia and dicalcium phosphate (I assume these are the P and K?) Are these organic?

From what I have found on the web, the Sul-Po-Mag seems to be a naturally occurring mineral. The DiCal-Phos seems to be of a chemical nature. To what extent can these be incorporated into an organic lawn program? I guess it depends on your view of 'organic'? Like is lime really organic?

I have only used sbm and alfalfa pellets in the past. I picked up a bag of this b/c only half of my sbm order came in and this intrigued me b/c of the fish meal. I thought that would be a nice change for the little guys to munch on. Plus, it was only $5 more than the sbm. The youngsters usually help fertilize by grabbing fistfuls from the spreader and throwing it around. I'm guessing they shouldn't be doing that with the Safe and Simple.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath