Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm castings...tea or top dress?

Posted by rosesr4me z9 FL_west (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 10:24

Just got a 28# bag of worm castings from my local Ace (9.95). To get the most from the castings, would it better to make a tea or lightly top dress my St. Augustine lawn? I have bare spots that seem to be compacted and have been getting weedy.

I also have alfalfa and ground corn (can't find corn gluten locally) that I will be putting down. I live in central west coast of Florida.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm castings...tea or top dress?

28 pounds of Worm Castings spread as "top dressing" will not go very far and a tea will be most effective if you have an active Soil Food Web which then makes the tea less needed.
While there has been found to be some N benefit spreading Corn Gluten Meal the expense does not make it a good soil food versus Alfalfa or ground corn.
What is your soil like?
How much organic matter is in that soil?
What kind of life is in that soil?
How well does that soil drain?
What does that soil smell like?
What is the pH of that soil?
Any soil that appears to be compacted, or is compacted, lacks adequate levels of organic matter.

o
RE: Worm castings...tea or top dress?

Thank you Kimmsr for responding. I have not done a soil test nor the jar test you frequently recommend. - that will be next. My soils are sandy with good drainage, and since I think have been doing organic for a number of years, I *think *my OM is good (worms).

I am glad to hear that ground corn is higher in N that corn gluten - though I mainly use it as a weed preventative. I thought the tea would be a "better bang for the buck", but I wanted to hear from the experts on the board. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here