Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albanynyjen

pictures

albanynyjen
15 years ago

Here are my lawn pictures. I had to resize them...Is this Red thread??? We've had tons of rain in upstate NY. The lawn gets full sun from late morning till late afternoon. I used corn gluten in the spring. Nitrogen deficiency from rain washout?? Should I give it a boost with Ringer's?? Or just use more corn gluten??

{{gwi:115455}}

{{gwi:115456}}

{{gwi:115457}}

Comments (4)

• albanynyjen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My husband is giving me pressure to "fix" the lawn beofre he calls Chem Lawn back...Please, any suggestions would help. I am planning on getting some "Ringers Restore" to try and replenish the nitrogen. The lawn gets full sun all day, but we've had tons of heavy rain. I also think I have tall fescue growing in patches. I'm not convinced its crabgrass. I don't really know what the original lawn is. It was here when we moved in. Neighbors think its a Zoysia, but that's kinda odd here in upstate NY...Havent seen any grubs. Any other thoughts??
    {{gwi:115455}}
    {{gwi:115457}}
    {{gwi:115456}}

• skoot_cat
    15 years ago

Hold on, hold on. Before you just trow down some fertilizer and hope it will help we need some More info from you.

What type of grass do you have? if you reall dont know,
    when does your grass look and thrive best? Fall, Winter, Summer?
    How much and how often are you watering?
    At what height do you mow?
    Soil Type?
    How/when did those spot appear? Details

Anything else?

• albanynyjen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I dont know what type of grass. It greens up later than the chemical lawns. Thrives in early summer and browns in the winter. I havent been watering because we havent gone more than 3 days without heavy rain. I have our mower person mowing at 3inches except for one time at the end of June when my husband asked him to mow shorter prior to a party. The spots appeared after that shorter mowing. A Chem Lawn person came by and said it was "red thread" and that it needed nitrogen. She said that everyone has it in the area because of the heavy rainfall we've been getting all summer. But I don't trust Chem Lawn anyway!

• soccer_dad
    15 years ago

What has your temperature been like? Red Thread is usually a spring or fall ailment, but I suppose Albany's temps could be in the range. Below is a link with a good description.

Are there any cotton like webs around the brown patches? If so, then judging only by the picture it could be brown patch which should not be fertilized.

Whatever it is, it is at a critical stage. Whether you treat it or not you will probably have to reseed this fall. I doubt the grass will come back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Thread

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County