Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemonpeels

soy bean meal in the chicago area

lemonpeels
16 years ago

Any of you guys in the greater Chicago land area..if so...where do you buy your soy bean meal?,,I have done a search and found quite a few places in the Dekalb area and farther..

Comments (10)

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

The Elburn Co-op is located east of Dekalb and carries SBM. Route 47 runs through Elburn. Here's a link:

Elburn Co-op

-Deerslayer

• syman
    16 years ago

Do they sell Corn Meal too?If not, any other place that sells Corn Meal?

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

The last time I checked, the Elburn Co-op didn't sell corn meal. Use the link that I posted and either call or email them to determine the current status.

Tons of corn are grown in Kane County. I don't know why the Co-op doesn't sell corn meal.

-Deerslayer

• richlo
    16 years ago

not sure..Im not into organic stuff but try these guys, I went there once and I saw plenty of organic stuff (I think)

Tri-County Stockdale Company of Joliet, Inc.
    25512 W. Black Road
    Joliet, IL 60431-5500
    Phone: (815) 436-8600
    Toll Free: (800) 707-SEED

• lemonpeels
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey guys..I have been making some calls..with the following results: Elburn co-op, didn't have any soybean meal..called three of there locations. Tri-county of Joliet, would order it, and it would cost $19 for a 50 pound bag. So I looked into what Blaine's Farm and Fleet carries in Montgomery, and found they have all types of animal feeds, which may fit my needs. The question is without driving out ther dou you guys know what type of feed contains the right stuff, they have horse feed, pig feed, cow feed, etc...the prices are roughly $9 per 50 pound bag..I have included a link http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/cat.aspx?h=090101

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

The problem with the feed labeled for Horse, pig, cow etc. is that they often contain salts and other ingredients that should not go on your organic lawn.

I checked out their site and the only thing I could find was Hay Cubes (which is Alfalfa), Cracked Corn and Sweet Georgia Molasses. All of these can be used for feeding the soil/lawn.

What you want to look for is Single Grains/ingredients. Soybean Meal, Alfalfa, Cornmeal etc. I would call them, since they carry so many feed products and ask if they carry Soybean or Cornmeal etc.

• lemonpeels
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone..I just found a much better alternative..my sister has a home in Wisconsin, and finding feed up there is a whole lot easier. I found a local feed store..with soybean meal for $8.71 per 50# and alfalfa meal for a little under $10, so I'll have her pick me up some next time she is up there, one other question..do i want alfalfa meal or alfalfa pellets? or does it matter

• greenjeans_il
    16 years ago

Ludwig's at 131st and Bell Rd. in Lemont (630)257-3097; has everything you need, except corn meal. You will not find corn meal in Northern Illinois unless you're willing to purchase it by the pallet from J.R.Short Milling in Kankakee, but it's going to cost you $400+ and you'll be buying 2500 lbs. You'll also need to set up a business account. Cracked corn is an alternative and I believe Ludwig's carries that but you'll need to ask them.

Tri-County Stockdale is only good for feed, not the grains. They do have bone meal and blood meal but those are specialty items for our purpose and shouldn't be used unless you know you have a calcium deficiency or are applying to bare soil in preperation for planting. For a good source of calcium use CGM on a regular basis and that will amend any issues there. Also Schaefer's Fish Fertilizer has a LOT of calcium. Google 'em, they have a website and are relatively local as well as inexpensive.

Greenjeans

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

Get the Pellets, they are much easier to spread.

• rich_glagola
    16 years ago

D@H AG. THE COUNTRY STORE,
    1111 S. Bridge St (Rt. 47)
    Yorkville Il.
    Phone 630-555-5825
    They do not have it in stock, but you can order it over the phone and get it in a week, last time I purchased a 50# bag of Corn-Gluten Meal 60% was $16.99 I got four bags.
    I do not know if they have a minimum order.

Sponsored