Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic Bermuda lawn needs helps!

Posted by mscottw2 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 08 at 11:52

I can't figure out what wrongs with my lawn and I was hoping some of you could help shed some light. A couple months ago I got a new mower, so the lawn did get scalped (somewhat.) The problem is, it usually recovers by now, and some spots seem to be getting worse. What do you guys think, I have had a problem with grubs in the past. I fertilized it with alfalfa pellets and cracked corn a couple days before fay came through. (about 10 days ago)

Scalped...Grubs....Fungus? It's also never been aerated, and it's one year old turf from seed (princess.)

I mow at 1", and have not irrigated since June. We've been getting plenty of water lately. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic Bermuda lawn needs helps!

I have no first hand experience with Southern lawns, but from reading here and there, I think your lawn needs fertilizer. Higher protein grains than corn and alfalfa you mentioned would provide more nitrogen. Try monthly applications of SBM. Member OKCdan has a beautiful Bermuda lawn. Hopefully he will chime in with advice for you. Below is a link to his information page.
Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: OKCdan's page

o

I agree, SBM would be a better choice for Bermuda. It has a much higher protein content than alfalfa. Apply it every 45days during the growing season @ 15lbs per 1000sqft. If you want to use Alfalfa you should double or triple the application rate. If it doesnt matter either way I would use Alfalfa for the first feeding, after spring green up @ 30-40lbs per 1000sqft then use SBM for the rest of the growing season.

o

• Posted by okcdan 7 OKC - Bermuda (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 13:58

From what I can see, your lawn just needs to be fed. Alfalfa pellets & cracked corn when applied at normal application rates (10-20 lbs/1000sqft) aren't gonna get it. For really good looking bermuda on a strictly organic program, you need an application of either soybean meal, cottonseed meal or corn gluten meal every 30 days, while mowing frequently with a reel mower.

Here's a pic of mine from spring '08 freshly mowed @ .500" as it came out of dormancy:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here