Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferemily_gw

New at Organic Gardening (and pretty much gardening)

jenniferemily
16 years ago

Hi,

I have just converted to organic gardening. The good news is I really wasn't into gardening before now so I never really put anything down on my lawn. I have a new lawn, planted in late spring that is a mess due to when I planted it (no choice in the matter) and very organic-lite clay soil. I am in the process of pulling weeds. I put down Jonathan Green's organic fertilizer this week per a soil test I received stating that nitrogen was very low.

The area I am working on is about 1200 square feet and I am in upstate New York. I am planning on aerating this weekend and topdressing with compost and some top soil. I am planning on overseeding next weekend with a slit seeder. My question is about starter fertilizer. I have seen and read a lot about soy bean meal and alfalfa. I would like to incorporate it into my soil. Can I just lay it on top of the existing grass or does it have to be tilled in (right now I have no plans to till)? Is it too late to use it as a starter fertilizer.

I would appreciate any advice you have. I have been posting in the Lawn Care forum and I just found this forum. I probably will be here a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES