Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
volunteer_gw

Organic Lawn Program for a Park

volunteer
15 years ago

Through a series of events I find myself involved as a volunteer for a non-profit organization that runs a local park. The staff knows very little about turf care and I have taken on the task of gathering info and putting some type of fertilizing/care program in place. The only care the 45,000 ft2 grass park has gotten is "fertilizing" by the city who only comes by after being called a dozen times. No plan or program, just when they feel like it. I have no idea what they put down. The park is in an environmentally sensitive area right on a river. There are buffer zones between the turf and the river of about 30' at a minimum, some areas more. I would like to come up with a program of organic care for the park. However, I need it to work! I hear varying reviews of organics from the lawn/nursery care people in our area. I do know that the other city parks do not use organics but chemical based products. I'm sure that we could do the same but we don't want to. First, it is too politically incorrect and second, simply the wrong thing to do even if politically correct. Can someone tell me where to start? Like I said, right now there is no program in place. I need to provide a written plan on what, when and $$$ for them to review. I am hoping to come up with a simple plan of "Spring this, summer this, fall this...we need this equipment, that equipment.." and provide cost estimates for the annual program. I am aware that what is needed long term depends on the state of the turf at the time but I need to start somewhere and move from there. Lastly, we have no big equipment beyond broadcast spreaders and a couple of guys willing to work! Where do I go from here? What is my first step? Second? Thanks in advance for any and all comments or suggestions!!

Comments (6)

• volunteer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some additional info on the park - the grass, again about 45,000 ft2, is in fairly good shape. I believe it is Kentucky Blue grass. Thin in some areas, good in most. Some clover and what I will call dollar weeds but not bad weed-wise. A sprinkler system is installed and running.

• spazboy357
    15 years ago

Volunteer - Though I am a lawn neophyte, I can give you some basic steps to take and some basic questions that will need to be answered.

1) Where in NY are you located? Even more specifically, what climate zone are you in? If you don't know your zone, go Here and enter your zip code to find out.

2) Get a soil test. There isn't a lot you will be able to do late in the season and a soil test is the first step in any real lawn care program. Go to the Cornell University Website and select your county for info on their local extension office. The results of the soil test will give you lots of info that will help you do the right things.

3) Once you have your soil test results, explain your situation to your county extension agent and see if you can get advice from him/her. Some extension offices also have "hotlines" that are manned by master gardeners that can give you advice, though not always organic in nature.

4) Since you are acting to maintain a municipal type facility, I would also suggest looking into whether or not your city/town/county/etc. has any type of composting facility where you could get compost. Most organic programs will involve compost application at some point and getting it from your local government is generally cheaper than purchasing it.

• ronalawn82
    15 years ago

volunteer, the first step is to be aware of the "political" environment. The municipality which fertilizes the park does so according to a very structured routine. You may not agree with what they do but it will not be easy to change. It is likely that they use products which will not fit into an organic program. Then there is usually some sort of "Advisory" body - a group of citizens who share a concern for the park, environment, or similar platform. Egos and emotions can rule the roost here.
    Then there might be local regulations which will impact your proposals; check carefully.
    I write all this because if the transition from one system to the other is not handled well, the benefits which you are trying to achieve (and all of us should) can be jeopardized.
    You wish to adopt an organic approach and I would suggest that a good start is to critically evaluate present practices.
    Take mowing as an example.
    What type of turf and what is its purpose? This will determine the height of cut. From these the frequency (10? 7? or 3 days?). (The 1/3 concept). Are the mulching attachments in place and functioning correctly? The grass clippings have to be of the right size for effective mulching. Changing the direction of mowing and cross-mowing will improve the turf.
    Blade sharpening and balancing, efficiency and rpm of the mower engine are related indirectly to the organic approach. I am sure that there are other considerations of relevance and importance to mowing alone; much more when you go on to consider fertilization, weed and pest control and irrigation practices.
    You are embarking for a very noble and desirable cruise. Sometimes you will have to rock the boat. Please do not sink the ship.

• soccer_dad
    15 years ago

...and read through the organic lawn care FAQ. It answers all your questions and a basis to ask more details.

• volunteer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the responses. The park is in New York City. The political environment is fairly simple - they would love the conservancy to take over ALL care of the park from fertilizing to mowing to everything. Of course we would have to pay for it. We are free to develop a program of our own if we wish. Central Park has received awards for their effective use of chemical based fertizilers and pest control. Over the years they have reduced total amounts of chemicals, use slow release products, apply properly, etc. An organic program that is "owned" by the park itself would be viewed as a wonderful thing.

I have looked at the mowing practices (and immediately looked the other way!) Again, a park guy with a push mower that it...lets just say old...it may be a mulcher (haven't noticed a discharge chute but will look closer next time). As for sharp blades...I'm thinking not so much. They have to be called to come mow. Again, nothing would make them happier than to have the whole thing taken off their plate. As for a compost pile, I'm not sure that would work given some of our local "residents" (rats!) We don't need to atract them and I would think that a compost heap would do so although it is a great thought.

I checked out the Cornell site but see nothing about where to get soil samples tested. Will look a little more as well as read the FAQ's as suggested. Again, I asked for step 1 and 2 and you all have provided it which I appreciate. I will sit with the powers that be and confirm the political environment and will get a sample tested to see where we are. After that I will post back with more as needed. Thanks again...

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

This from Ohio State University may be of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Lawn Care

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?