Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brh7727

Soil Test Report - How To Fertilize

brh7727
11 years ago

I am attempting to implement organic practices for my lawn. I am completely new at this, so feel free to correct my calculations, information, or thought process. March was the last application of synthetic fertilizer on my lawn, which is also the last recommended application of fertilizer for fescue in my area. My lawn type is mostly turf-type tall fescue. I�m located in the piedmont of NC. The soil in my yard is generally red clay (although, the CEC below may indicate otherwise). In an effort to get the most out of my lawn, I finally had a soil test performed. P & K index values were above optimum at 127 for P and 105 for K. The recommended fertilizer application is 5lbs per 1000 sq ft 21-0-0 (5*21%=1.05 lbs N/1000 sq ft). My yard is about 12,000 sq ft total. The PH is 6.0, so no lime application was recommended.

I plan to overseed in late August through early October based on NCSU�s turf file recommendations. I will likely overseed with fescue, but may incorporate some KBG or PRG in the blend. As a result, I�m somewhat hesitant to apply corn gluten. I am thinking about trying to find some blood meal (1.05/13% = 8 lbs of blood meal / 1000 sq. ft.). I have also thought about just applying alfalfa pellets since they are readily available at feed stores in my area. I see the only drawback being the additional P & K from the alfalfa pellets. Based on what I have read, it�s clear that you�re looking at more than N-P-K regarding organic lawn care, so would I be better off to just apply the alfalfa pellets?

I do have some zoysia that was plugged in a few bare spots in the front yard over a year and a half ago. I haven�t fertilized it during the summer, but it has continued to spread in a few places. If my yard eventually transitions to zoysia, that would be great! However, I think I have far too much shade in parts of my yard. The blade on the zoysia variety I have matches the fescue pretty well, so I�m not super concerned about it being there. My plan is to only manage the lawn for fescue or other comparable cool season grasses.

Please feel free to provide your recommendations on management for my lawn overall.

Other results from soil test:

HM% = 0.32

W/V = 0.91

CEC = 8.2

Mn = 248

Zn = 128

Cu = 87

S = 200

Comments (4)