Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freyja5

Question on overseeding - which seed?

freyja5
14 years ago

My current lawn is a mix of mainly perennial rye and fescues. I started my organic program the end of June, and while I have only put down one application of alfalfa so far, I have been watering 1x per week deeply and cutting high. One thing I've noticed up here in Canada is that packaging on grass rarely lists more than "perennial ryegrass" (if that), for example, much less any kind of cultivar.

I will be overseeding this fall and have looked at two different seeds available near me. The first is Scott's Pure Premium, and lists KBG, Perennial Rye and Fescues as the grass mix (no cultivar names, and no noxious weed percentages).

The second seed is one I used in the back yard with quite a bit of success this spring (before I learned that seeding in the fall is better). It is a local brand, but lists Perennial Rye (4200) as the type of grass (not mixed with fescues or anything else). Again, no analysis like that found on American packaging (i.e. no noxious weed percentages).

My front yard gets mostly sun, but there is some shady area closer to the house (it is on the north side of the house). I would also like something that holds up to some traffic, as we have to walk across the grass to get to the back yard (as well, our post lady cuts across the grass).

Any ideas on which I should choose? I've heard that Perennial Rye is better for high traffic, but also that a mix might be better to help ward off problems. I've also heard, though, that KBG doesn't do well in our wet climate (we are comparable to the Pacific Northwest, with maybe a bit more snow in the winter). Maybe the perennial rye is the best way to go?

Thanks. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Comments (5)

Sponsored