Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Tim to gush about topdressing and Milorganite!

rutgers1
16 years ago

Last fall, I core aerated and overseeded. I spread some Scotts starter fertilizer. The results were just "ok".

Last week, I slit seeded and topdressed with compost and peat moss. Then I spread some Milorganite. BAM! A week later, I have some major growth, particularly in the spots where I went over twice with the slit seeder:

{{gwi:110494}}

If you are thinking of overseeding, definitely consider topdressing with compost and peat moss. The difference between this year and last is amazing.

Comments (8)

• subywu
    16 years ago

That is a pretty clear result.

Just a note: that particular area appears to have been seeded a little too heavily. Do all areas look like that? Did you seed a little heavier than guidelines or a lot? The reason I point that out is I've found that seedlings too densely sown together will stall (in growth) and then disease may be likely to set in.

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, that area was definitely seeded heavily. The calibration was screwed up on the slit seeder. On my first pass, it dropped a high percentage of the seeds. I had to mess with the settings and put it on its absolute lowest setting to get it right, even tho. When I told them upon returning the slit seeder, they knocked 20 bucks off the price.

• billhill
    16 years ago

Your top dressing and seedlings look great Rutgers1. Think about all those little critters feeding and taking care of your new grass plants. This should give you a great looking lawn. Bill Hill

• rlembke
    16 years ago

How did you go about doing the spreading?

Looks great!

• smitty5952
    16 years ago

Just curious. How does a slit seeder work? Is that something you get as a rental? Did you do your whole lawn with this or just areas?

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A slit seeder looks like a lawnmower. However, it has blades that cut "slits" into the ground (almost like a pizza slicer). A connected drop spreader drops seeds into the area that were just cut with the slit seeder. The sees are not dropped exactly into the slits, but many get into them, while others wash in with the next rain/watering. The reason for using the slit seeder is so that you get good seed-to-soil contact.

If you just spread seed without doing anything to prepare the soil, the chances for a good overseeding are slim.

• vintageways
    16 years ago

Good job on the seeding, one of the few immediate gratifications of lawn work.

1) For anyone considering the slit seeder, it is easier to use in large areas of turf, in fact fun to use. If you have a small yard, or one with a lot of obsticles, go a different route.

2) I don't use Milorganite, I respect the path it has carved out for other products, but it has to many heavy metals in it for me. What else do you flush down your toilet besides...you get it.

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have kids, so I won't be spreading Milorganite more than once a year. But there are a lot of people who swear by it, so I am going to give it a shot, though mostly in my front yard (the kids play in the back).

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional