Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alico268

Questions about surfactants and such

Alico268
9 years ago

Hello Organic Lawn Forum,

I have been in my first home for about a year and half and have tried to follow the principles of organic lawn care and gardening, but had a few questions.

I live in Richardson (a suburb of Dallas, TX) and the water restrictions limit us to watering only 2 times per month. I cut my lawn at 3-1/2" and though my lawn deals with the stress much better than my neighbors who cut shorter, it is still a tough schedule to work with. The region is dominated by Houston black clay in the Blackland Prarie, so I want to use a surfactant to assist with watering. Is there any real benefit to using something like Nitron A-35 compared to Method All-Natural dish detergent?

Secondly, I have a real issue with my St. Augustine stolons not taking root and sticking up everywhere after I mow. I'm not sure if it is a soil situation, nutrient deficiency or due to the height at which I mow. I often wonder if the height at which I mow produces a bunch of layers of grass and the stolons just grow through or on top of the "layers." It does seem to be more profound in certain parts of my yard where there is a greater concentration on sunlight. Does anyone else experience this or know the reason? Perhaps my lawn is just too thick in those places!

Lastly, I absolutely detest Bermuda grass. Unfortunately, my lawn has it in certain areas and competes with my St. Augustine. I followed a high mow height in an attempt to shade it out as recommended, but the Berm just grows right up alongside the SA. I even have spots along the edges of the lawn where I get Spotted Spurge weed poking up. Is there anything that I am doing wrong? My last ditch effort will probably be liquid Atrazine, but would love to avoid that route if I could. Any insight would be quickly absorbed here!!!

Thank you!

Comments (4)