Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disheartened

Posted by rosarama (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 19:30

David:

I posted about my brown organic lawn. I live in Apopka, (near Orlando), Florida. I have not needed to water since we have been in a rainy season since June.
Ahough I watered in Nematodes last fall, still the ehinch bugs attacked.
I have thrown everything at that lawn - soy meal, cornmeal, alfalfa, still it is theworst on my block or almost the worst.
I have begun to envy the neighbors who regularly have their lawns sprayed with chemicals.
Cornmeal helped with brown patch, but the bugs took over and it has been downhill all the way,
The cow nanure I use has been composted cow manure touted as "Organic cow manure compost" from HD,
Will someone please help me before I lose my Mind. The back lawn which looked so good a few months ago is now half dug up as I prepare it for new sod. The font looks like hell on a wet day with brown ashes.
Ay de mi!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disheartened

Have you had a good, reliable soil test done? What is your soils pH? How much organic matter is in your soil? How well does your soil drain? How well does that soil retain moisture?

o
RE: Disheartened

I'm assuming you have St Augustine, is that correct?

If you've done all that and you're getting weekly water of at least an inch, then it is time for a soil test. I'm on another website where the regulars are recommending getting your soil tested at the University of Massachusetts (no matter where you live). They do a test on micronutrients that seems to really help.

Your cow manure compost should have been fine. I always worry when someone uses the word, manure. Compost is the operative word there. If is smells good, then it is good to use anywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here