Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdr944

Last chance for a lawn

mdr944
16 years ago

I have just been using organic material for the first time this year. I used ½ bag CGM once in spring, probably too late to get the full benefit, 1 50 lb SBM once a month (each application) since early spring, 1 50 lb alfalfa pellets twice one month separated with the SBM coverage and once with alfalfa meal last month with combination of SBM application. I put down 1800 LBS of compost/manure on top in between the third and forth application of the SBM. I am not really sure how many square feet of lawn I have because I have many, many, many beds of flowers, grasses, ornamental grasses, etc. (maybe 2500 sq ft) This past weekend I was not having much success with my lawn so I have scrapped it all and since most of the lawn area was bare, I just put down 1 20 lb bag tall fescue grass seed down, about 10 lbs of Milorganite and put 4.5 cu bags of peat moss on top because it was supposed to rain for 5 days straight (which it did).

My real question is am I killing the micro herd with too much even though I have read that you can put as much as you want down? I am not looking for a lawn for a magazine photo but would like something full and as few weeds as possible. When I do water I have a full house water softening system (it uses salt) so is this contributing to my demise?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz