Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabama_lowlife

progress pics

alabama_lowlife
16 years ago

I found this wonderful place in april of this year and began reading. I became very interested in organic lawn care because it just seems the best way to care for a lawn. so in the last week of april i put out some SBM. then about 3 weeks later put out some more. about 12 lbs/1000 each time. again about 3 weeks ago i put out some more. i figure i have some catching up to do lol. i took a couple pics in the first week of may, just a day or so after the first SBM application. i took some comparison pics today. i've still got a long way to go, and several spots haven't filled in yet. this is the only part of my yard that i'm actively tending other than mowing, but i think this will encourage those who are unsure about organic. i've NEVER tried to use any type of fertilizer before. and until april of this year i've never done anything other than mow and only that when absolutely required.

MAY{{gwi:1104889}}

TODAY{{gwi:1104890}}

MAY{{gwi:1104891}}

TODAY{{gwi:1104892}}

Thanks to everybody here! i can't wait to see how it looks in another year.

Comments (6)

• katdog_turf
    16 years ago

Cannot see the pictures

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

What a change! That's gone from Side of Highway crud to a much nicer lawn I'd want to walk through!

If you allow people to actually walk on the grass, that is...

• alabama_lowlife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lol oh yeah, people still walk on it. in fact, the mail carrier still drives straight across from the mail boxes in the picture to mine. i just wish this was in the back yard so the kids could enjoy it! maybe one day the mess will be straight back there.

the pics are working for me, i even cleared my cookies and internet files to double check, but here's the links

{{gwi:1104889}}

{{gwi:1104890}}

{{gwi:1104891}}

{{gwi:1104892}}

• katdog_turf
    16 years ago

Thanks. Great Pics! I have started applying organics on the yard I have this year. My previous yard I put down CMG, but not SBM or Corn Meal. I am interested to see how the yard progresses and I am overseeding this fall as well.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

To me it looks like you are mowing too short. Is your mower all the way up to the highest setting?

The rest of the bare spots should be overseeded. Once the summer heat breaks is the time to do that. Fertilize with alfalfa 2 weeks prior to seeding. Then scalp, seed, and roll it down. Then water daily, twice a day, for 15 minutes each time. In 2 weeks you should have grass starting.

• alabama_lowlife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i've got it set all the way down. i was cutting very high because i had read alot of stuff on here saying to mow high, but then i saw on here that centipede was supposed to be mowed very short.

i seeded the upper part of the yard under the trees several months ago, but i screwed up when i bought the seed from lowes. i didn't know what i was doing and got a "shade mix". after reading on here, i realized that this wonderful, fast growing fescue and rye would be dead in a few months once the alabama summer smoked it. so i once again screwed up and paid almost $30 for a bag of centipede seed with "mulch" in it that only had 1/4 lb of seed. it was the biggest thing they had. later i found out that i could have bought a pound of seed from elsewhere for roughly the same price. i would have had enough to do ALL the spots instead of waiting for them to fill in on their own. the places i seeded with centipede are thriving now and have overtaken the places with fescue and rye.

i've got some more areas i need to seed, does the advice to seed after the heat break apply to warm season grasses as well as cool season? the stuff i seeded this spring will most certainly be mature enough to survive the "harsh" alabama winter, but would seeds planted now have time to develop properly before the end of the growing season? i wouldn't want them to get killed in the winter.....if you can really call what we have winter.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH