Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eastpenna

10-10-10 Organic Fertilizer

eastpenna
16 years ago

Is there such a thing as a balanced (say 10-10-10) organic fertilizer? If so what is the name, and where can it be purchased?

Comments (7)

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

I've never heard of anything organic called "balanced." If you want to be organic, you have to forget 99% of what you think you know about gardening and start over. We've all gone through that process. Organic fertilizers are fairly balanced, but the measurements of the primary nutrients are never equal.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

Many lawn grasses use N-P-K in a ratio of about 3-1-2. For this reason, I consider a fertilizer with a 3-1-2 ratio more "balanced" than one with equal amounts of N-P-K.

Alfalfa has an N-P-K of approximately 3-1-2 so one could say that alfalfa is a "balanced" organic fertilizer.

Alfalfa and other grains can be purchased at feed stores.

-Deerslayer

• eastpenna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, this organic is all new to me. The only reason I was looking for a 10-10-10 was to add amendments per my soil test. Any suggestions? Or should I just get them individually?

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

Below is a link that explains how to convert inorganic soil recommendations for use with organic materials.

Fertilizer N-P-K

Table 2 lists the components of a 10-10-10 organic fertilizer equivalent.

I suggest that you avoid blood meal and use soybean meal (SBM) instead. Blood meal has a rapid N release. SBM has a much slower N release and is an excellent choice for ongoing organic fertilization.

In summary here's a recipe for an organic 10-10-10 fertilizer. It contains .5 lbs each of N, P and K.

7.5 lbs soybean meal
    4.5 lbs bone meal
    10 lbs greensand

-Deerslayer

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

I failed to mention that the above 10-10-10 organic fertilizer recipe is equivalent to 5 lbs of inorganic 10-10-10.

-Deerslayer

• eastpenna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

deerslayer, thanks I appreciate it. I do have a list that was provided to me with the organic items that I can use, I hate to say that I was just looking for a easier way to go about this. I guess I will just have to get them individually after all.

Thanks again!!

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

Have you looked at the organic lawn care FAQ over on the Organic Gardening forum? It's near the bottom of the list of FAQs.

Sponsored