Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants collecting grass seed

Posted by lcpw z6 St Louis (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 10:03

I put down grass seed over the weekend, and within minutes could see ants carrying it away, each ant with a seed in its mouth. The following day, looking at the soil I'd seeded, I was hard pressed to find a single seed; the ants seem to have collected ALL of it.

These aren't fire ants or ants that bite much; I'm generally not troubled at having them around. But I'm kindof baffled at how to approach this, to successfully grow grass instead of just feeding the ants.

I'm contemplating putting down corn meal when I reseed, with the hope that the corn meal will be more desirable to the ants, and they'll focus on carting that off ... but ... ants are hard workers; I'm concerned that they'll just cart off the meal AND the seed.

Any suggestions?
lcpw

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ants collecting grass seed

I know sugar or molasses works wonders for driving away fire ants. It will probably do the same for other types of ants, too. The theory is that sugar causes an explosion of microbial activity in the soil. The ants hate the microbial activity and leave.
You can try dry molasses, which is sold in 50# bags as cattle feed. Broadcast it all over your yard at 20# per 1000 sq ft. Another way would be to buy a gallon of liquid molasses, pour it into a hose end sprayer, and apply at 2 ounces per gallon. Either way should get the same effect. Normal table sugar might work too, but wouldn't provide any of the micronutrients that you would get from molasses. you should see results almost immediately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here