Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late for me

Posted by hutchanne z6/S.Indiana (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 6, 09 at 10:14

I did the unthinkable..I used grub control killer(Bayer) on those little xxxoo. grubs. Have I ruin my organic lawn or herd? First time in 4 years for any chemicals. Will it come back soon? What should I use now. I seeded ( 7 days ago) a large area with Midnight using about 2 pounds. (mixed lawn. rye,kbg,fescue grass) Now it's time to fertilize the entire yard. Back to soybean meal or what? 100's of grubs in yard. Used nematodes last year. Guess I should have use it again. Maybe 2 applications next year along with Milky spore. What really works? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late for me

To be a problem, according to the turf grass people at Michigan State, Ohio State, and Purdue, your grub population would need to be in the area of 10 per square foot, 5 or less per square foot would not be a problem. To determine that population dig out a one square foot section of your turf, or take a spade and cut in a :_: and fold the turf back and then count the wee buggers there.
Milky Spore Disease, "Bacillus popilliae", is present in most soils already, just not enough and it can take some time to show spectacular results and since it is a passsive means of control, the grubs must ingest it, many people think it does not work. Parasitic nematodes can also be used IF there is a real grub problem.
For most people grubs are not a real problem, and do not need as much control as the people that sell control products want you to believe.

o
RE: Too late for me

Grubs were more than 10 per foot. More like 20 per foot. Damage was total dead grass. When should I apply parasitic nematodes? In the fall and spring? I have had grubs for 10 yrs. But this invasion was massive. Also, what should I apply now for my fall fertilizer? I have been using SBM, now what? Grass seed is just poping their hair up. I don't what to smother them. Did I do much damage to my organic lawn using the Grub killer? Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here