Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aman32_gw

Tis the seeding season... anyone else with blisters?

aman32
14 years ago

Anyone else out there reseeding large areas on their own? Please tell me I'm not the only guy out there breaking my back and getting blisters!

I used a dethatcher to rip out thatch in the front yard. I removed buckets of thatch in a 2000 sqft area. I believe the cause of the thatch was too much water over the years, the rains this summer and perhaps my refusal to chemically aid the lawn.

Now, I'm basically starting from scratch. I'm not composting because its so expensive. I've fed my soil pretty consistently this year with soy bean meal and corn meal and I'm hoping organic matter is beginning to accumulate. I also get tons and tons of leaves which I intend of mulching.

Whats left you ask? Sure, thanks for asking!

-In the front, I need to put a nice, thin, top layer of soil/peat and then reseed.

-On the side, dethatch, add soil/peat, and reseed.

-In the back, hand rake the dead grass, add soil/peat, reseed.

Anyway, just needed to vent to someone other then my wife, who gives me no compassion at all!

Comments (3)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

The only reason thatch accumulates in any lawn is because there are not enough soil bacteria to digest it because of poor management practices, ie using the wrong lawn food for too long. Since a good, healthy turf needs a good, healthy soil to grow in start now by contacting your state universities USDA Cooperative Extension Service office in yor county and ask about having a good, reliable soil test done so you know what your soils pH and base nutrient levels are. You can also dig into your soil with these simple soil tests,
    1) Structure. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. A good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drains too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer you soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.
    to see waht more you need to do to make that soil into a good, healthy soil that will grow a strong and healthy stand of grass.

• aman32
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi kimmsr and thanks for the reply.

I'm in the process of undoing 30 years of chemicals and improper lawn care.

I'm waiting for my soil test results. Upon receipt, I will post them and look for guidance. That should take care of #1-#4.

Earth worms are few and far between on my lawn.

Thanks!
    Adam

• messypotter
    14 years ago

we haven't had rain in weeks, of course it rains while i'm in the middle of spreading leaf compost.

this is the first year for me going organic, my tiny back yard has been torn apart , first from the increased number of moles this year due to last year's cicada invasion and second from my goldens digging up the yard this spring to bring me the moles....

i over-seeded and topdressed only....the rain was a help, but i'm spreading the last of the compost now....taking a break as we speak....

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?