Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robmurphy

Where to start?

robmurphy
15 years ago

I kinda just stumbled on this forum looking for general lawn care advice. It seems many of you are have great success using organic products. I just took over my lawn care after firing my lawn care service. I have too many weeds and the St Augustine is too thin. I live in Jacksonville, Florida. I would like to go organic because of my dogs and child. Where does one start? Where to you get your products such as corn meal gluten? When and how much should I apply? What can I use for weeds and fungus? I will be reading more of the forum tonight looking for answers but am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

rob

Comments (10)

• skoot_cat
    15 years ago

Welcome aboard!

The best place to start is the Organic Lawn Care FAQ- link below. Read it several times then come back with any further questions you may have. I also live in Fl and I have more info on my page(click my user name) about caring for st.augustine organically.

A few things you can start doing now are are:
    1. Set your mower to the highest setting and leave it there.
    2. Mulch mow all grass clippings and leafs with a sharp blade.
    3. Water deeply and infrequently. 3/4-1" of water once a week.

Here is a link that might be useful: organic lawn FAQ

• robmurphy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Skoot, thanks for the link. I will read it over and look at your page. I already mow at the highest setting and mulch most of the time. I have a lot of oaks which drops tons of leaves. Should I mulch them, too? I have heard that they are very acidic.

Thanks again,
    rob

• skoot_cat
    15 years ago

I have a lot of oaks which drops tons of leaves. Should I mulch them, too?

Definitely, they add a ton of organic matter. You might have to go over them a couple of times to make sure they get chopped up finely. If the leafs are too thick in some spots take a blower or rake the leafs to a thinner spot.

• greeness
    15 years ago

Congrats on your decision to go green. I did the same recently, and found this article helpful for starting a compost heap. In the meantime, recycle your lawn clippings by leaving them on your lawn. They'll quickly disintegrate into the turf and help your lawn maintain it's healthy, well, greeness!

Here is a link that might be useful: composting--recycling lawn and garden clippings

• robmurphy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After reading the FAQ I have decided to put down 20 lbs/1,000 sq ft of corn meal. I chose the corn meal for this application because the FAQ says that beneficial fungus grows well on the corn meal and I have some brown patch. My yard is 10,000 sq ft so that is a lot of corn meal. Do you think I should spray some molasses, too? Where does one get bulk molasses?

Thanks again,
    rob

• skoot_cat
    15 years ago

Brown Patch? I would be really surprised if you have brown patch disease this time of year. Its normally noticed November through May when temperatures are below 80F. It is not usually observed in the summer. My guess would be heat stress and possible bug damage from weekend turf do to the intense sun/heat. Alot of lawns are thinning/dying back in spots, Look around at other S.A. lawns. How about some pics of good and bad spots?

Since this will be your first application of a Protein Fertilizer(grains) I suggest applying something that will pack a little more punch than Corn Meal. While corn meal is known to be a fungicide IMO it is a poor choice in terms of economics as a fertilizer. When comparing Grain fertilizer you have to look at the amount of Protein in the bag. For example Soybean Meal has 45-50% Protein, Corn Meal 10-15% and Alfalfa about 17-20%. With that said you would have to apply 3-4x the amount of corn meal to achieve the same amount of protein in 15lbs of SBM. I suggest applying a higher protein feed like SBM @ 10-20lbs per 1000sqft first.(15lbs/1000sqft is ideal) Then Spray Molasses @ 4oz/gal to cover 1000sqft. This will send the microbes into a feeding frenzy and in turn increase the biomass, which you current soil is probably lacking. After about 1 month you could apply the cornmeal if still needed.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

On thing mising in this discussion so far is your soil. So, Okay, you are in Florida and that most likely means sand, but what about that sand, what is in it? Is it alive? What does it smell like? What does it feel like? How well does it hold water? These simple soil tests can help determine that and since soil, to an organic gardener is the most important part of the garden are a good place to start,
    1) Structure. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. A good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drains too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer you soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.

Also contact your local office of the University of Florida USDA Cooperative Extension Service about having a good, reliable soil test done for base soil pH and soil nutrients.

Here is a link that might be useful: UF CES

• rickbubba
    15 years ago

Hi robmurphy I to live in Jax. also. With the help of this and other websites I have used the same organic stuff (Feed Meal) everyone else uses here it works dude.This will be year two for me and my ST. Aug. looks as heathy as any True Green lawn I've seen.
    I use a 50/50 mix of Soy Bean Meal/Cotton Seen Meal sometimes I mix Alfalfa pellets with it.
    P.S. those oak leaves are great for your Palm trees mulched up.I also compost and as skootcat will tell you if you want to rid of fungus compost will also do it.

rickbubba.

• robmurphy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kimmsr, thanks for the advice. I will try some of the tests you suggested and send some soil off for analysis.

rickbubba, thanks,also. It is good to know someone in my area has had success. Where do you get your feed? When do you normally apply? Since I don't have any compost going right now, where can I get some to apply to my yard?

Thanks
    rob

• rickbubba
    15 years ago

I purchase it from Dinsmore Feed on US1 phone 765-3369. You have to call and order it takes a week or so to get it..Apply it in your case ASAP due to the shorter growing season we are entering.It sounds like your oak trees may be creating to much shade to let your ST.Aug. grow if this is the case you may have to trim some branches to let sunlight in.
    The compost, you can get advice from the county ext.office I think the phone is 355-8855 ask for the master gardener on duty.This is also where to have your soil tested if you still need help just e-mail my advice is cheap.

rickbubba.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz