Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do nematodes work?

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 07 at 13:47

My lawn has grubs (masked chafer, not Japanese beetles) and I'd rather not use chemicals. How well do beneficial nematodes work?

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do nematodes work?

They can kill an insect larva in 24-48 hours. About the only issue is getting them into the soil alive. They need moist soil to move around.

Beneficial nematodes work by giving a deadly disease to the insects. The disease happens to be the food supply for the nematodes and it grows on insects. When the nematodes enter the insect larvae's body, the disease starts to grow and kills the host. The nematode lays eggs inside the hose and leaves. When the eggs hatch, the dead insect is engulfed in the disease microbes and the nematodes have a ready food supply. Then the babies emerge from the insect covered in the disease microbes and seek out more hosts.

Too bad you didn't catch them in the act earlier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here