Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habiem_gw

Grubs, Grubs, Grubs...

habiem
16 years ago

I have identified the problem in my lawn described in the thread posted here.

It's grubs. I dug up a few patches of grass and found grubs right under the grass in numerous spots. Within a 6" x 6" area, I was easily able to find 2-3, without looking hard at all. I had a Japanese Beetle infestation earlier this year, so I'm assuming there's a relation.

So, the question is - what to do at this point. Earlier in the year, when I had my Japanese Beetle problem, I purchased some nematodes from a place that someone on here recommended. I put them down the day they arrived - that was in mid-July. However, my understanding is that the nematodes kill the larvae, but not the full-grown grubs, so perhaps it was too late at that point.

Should I go a chemical route (grub-x) at this point, or have I missed my opportunity to take care of them this year? Just count on the nematodes to take care of the problem for next year?

I've worked hard on eradicating the chemicals from my lawn-care arsenal and really don't want to kill any of the little beneficial soil guys I've been growing all year!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (17)

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

The grubs in your lawn have finished feeding. Killing them now would be like closing the barn doors after the horses have escaped. Nematodes now would kill them, but what's the point? The time to put out the nematodes is the very day you see the Japanese beetles. If they swarm your porch lights or where ever you see them, that's the time. Then you can get to the feeding maggots with the BN. If you want to be preventive about it, you can apply nematodes in late winter (which is Valentine's Day for us in San Antonio) and again in mid May. The best time to apply is during a persistent rain lasting several days. That way your soil is nice and wet for them.

• habiem
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As stated, I put down the nematodes as soon as the Japanese beetle problem was noticed.

Do I need to worry about the grubs / beetles coming back next year, or should the nematodes that were put down in July help to prevent them next year?

• emmgus
    16 years ago

what about milky spore? i know it is no quick fix, but might help for next year? we've put it down a few times over the past 3 yrs, and this summer had no grub problem.

• v1rt
    16 years ago

I've always seen the word "milky spores". What are they? I'm really curious to know.

Thanks,

Ron

• shuber
    16 years ago
  • billm_i
    16 years ago

I to have found these little larvae in my dead grass, but alas it is to late mid October now.So my questions now are... What do I need to do next because I can just pick up parts of my lawn like a rug.I have collected about 50 of these things (going fishing later this week might as well get some good from this)Do I seed in the late fall and re seed in the spring. Or do I need to get rid of them now,in the spring or not at all because it is to late?

Any help will be very appreciated.

• katdog_turf
    16 years ago

I cannot believe it! Saw some grass yellowing and under further inspection found the grass coming up easily with many grubs. I got an old plastic butter "bucket" and put as many as I could find in it, the put some compost on the area with the grass back in place. Is there anything else I can do at this point seeing as how it will be cold in Michigan very soon. Uggghh. Overseeded this year and my grass was looking great. Any wisdom/guidance would be helpful.

• jjbjr
    16 years ago

Has anyone used milky spore In or around New York with any success.

Thank you

JJB JR

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

From what I recall reading here and elsewhere, milky spore seems to work well for folks in the north while beneficial nematodes do not. Vice versa for folks in the south.

• deejaycee56
    12 years ago

Please, I need help. My lawn is dying from grubs. I just applied my 2nd application of liquid Grub Beater but I have huge bare spots that need to be fixed. We use organic on our lawn.

Is it too late to kill the grubs? What should I do for next year?

Can I overseed given that I still have active grubs on the lawn?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

• ETauntonMA
    12 years ago

I started my 2 year application of Milky Spore this year. So far I have put down 2 of the 3 first year applications. I need to do the same next year. Japanese Beetles/Grubs were not that bad this year. It does take time for the spore to set up shop in your soil so I am sure I won't know the true results for a couple years. I live in SE Mass.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

There are several members of the Scarab Beetle family, japanese Beetles are one, that lay eggs in the soil that become these "C" shaped grubs we are all taught to hate with a passion. Research at several universities has found that if the population of the grubs is around 10 per square foot you can have a problem but that fewer then 5 per square foot are not. The adult beetles lay the eggs in July and August and they hatch and are then very susceptible to Milky Spore Disease, "Bacillus popilleae" which they must ingest as they feed. As the soil cools these grubs will move down further into the soil for the winter and they stop feeding, but in the spring, as the soil warms, they come back toward the surface to feed for a short time before they pupate to become the adult beeltes. Milky Spore Disease is effective, for a short time during the early stages of these grubs life, shortly after they hatch so it should be applied in early August, at the latest. Milky Spore Disease is also a very passive means of control. You put it down and then hope the grubs find it and ingest it, which is why those that need immediate gratification find it not vey effective.
    Beneficial nematodes, which eat the grubs can be applied about the same time or a little later.
    GrubX is not an acceptable organic solution because it is a broad spectrum poison that will kill many of the soil insects, both beneficial and harmful.

• Rhonda
    8 years ago

It seems like Milky Spores are a lot easier to apply....trying to get coverage with a watering can for the nemotodes was not very effective. If it's late May in Ontario can I still look at using Milky Spores? I'm afraid they have taken over a large part of our lawn already!!

• kimmq
    8 years ago

The time to put Milky Spore Disease, "Bacillus popilleae", is in late July or early August just before the eggs that will become the grubs hatch. MSD is not very effective once the grubs grow some, like other similar diseases it is most effective very early in the life of the larva.

You could put down some MSD now but it will do nothing about the current crop of grubs, although it will have an adverse affect on those that hatch next August.

kimmq is kimmsr

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

For milky spore (Paenibacillus papillae) to be effective, it needs to be consumed by the grubs and they begin active feeding in late summer into fall.

"GrubX is...........a broad
    spectrum poison that will kill many of the soil insects, both beneficial
    and harmful."

This is not correct. GrubEx is very targeted insecticide that is only effective against certain insect orders, primarily Colepotera. The active ingredient, chlorantraniliprole, has an excellent profile of safety or non-effect against beneficial arthropods, pollinators and non-target organisms like predatory insects, earthworms and soil microorganisms.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    8 years ago

I had good results using nematodes on about a 500sqft section of my lawn. Two years in a row, I had terrible grub damage in that area, I applied the nematodes last spring and had no grub damage last summer. I did not apply more nematodes this year, so I will have to see if they can still control the grubs year over year without reapplication.

You can't apply the nematodes with a pressure sprayer (it will kill them), but you can use a hose siphon to cover larger sq footage. I used the one below to cover my entire 7,500sq lawn with compost tea the past few years. I wish it mixed faster, but it gets the job done.

Jacks-Classic-70010-Hozon-Siphon

• kimmq
    8 years ago

The active ingredient in Grub X is "Chlorantraniliprole" and the list of target insects is quite long indicating it can kill many non listed insects. The common means of action is by ingestion.

kimmq is kimmsr