Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To those starting out on organics

Posted by rutgers1 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 07 at 16:06

I will begin by saying that I am only about 4 months into my own program. But I wanted to address a recommendation that you will be getting from a lot on this board. You will be told to only water your lawn once a week. This works fine if you have been doing as such all along, or if you have barely watered to begin with. However, if your lawn is used to multiple waterings a week - as mine was - cutting back to once a week is a surefire way to burn it out. As with anything, take a moderate approach as you encourage your roots to grow deeper by less frequent waterings. But don't cut it off cold turkey.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To those starting out on organics

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 5, 07 at 22:19

Most of the knoweledgeable posters will tell you to slowly cut back on the watering. Only water when the grasss shows stress. The main indicater is footprints that stay flat. Cold turkey is bad if you are watering it too often.

o
RE: To those starting out on organics

This is important. I'm going to look at the wording I use when discussing this subject. The main point of watering infrequently is to allow the soil surface to dry out and not promote weed seed germination. The watering technique needs to include some discussion about watering deeply so the grass plants do not die between watering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here