Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmnhiramga

can't get cgm or sbm

kmnhiramga
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm in the metro atlanta area and though I've found plenty of feed and seed stores, I can't find anyone that says they have corn meal gluten or soy bean meal. I can find cracked corn and alfalfa cubes. I've found chicken feed, and other feed but none of it says it is made from Corn Meal or Corn Meal Gluten or Soy Bean Meal.

I did find a store with Bradfield Farms organic fertilizer (made from alfalfa) but it would cost me over $100 to do 20# per 1000 sq feet. and why wouldn't I just do the rabbit feed which is small alfalfa pellets then?

I've ruled out using Milorganite, I don't want that stuff. Anyone have any suggesions? Any one here in Georgia that has found SBM or CGM? I want to put down CGM now to prevent winter weeds.

thanks,

kevin

Comments (4)

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

Alfalfa Pellets or Cubes are an excellent way to feed your lawn/microbes. They are primarily a plant source of nitrogen, Alfalfa Pellets also contain trace minerals and triacontanol, a plant growth promoter. I would suggest you Broadcast 20-50 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft.

Corn Gluten Meal is a great fertilizer, and a so so pre-emergent. Read the post on the main Organic Lawn Care page labeled Corn Gluten Meal revisited.

The feed store I go to also doesn't care SBM, but they will order me a bag. Ask the feed stores if they can order you some.

• kmnhiramga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

would somebody post a pic of a bag of CGM, or give me a name brand so I could ask a feed store to order it?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

it would be just a 40 or 50lbs brown bag (for me) with CGM on label. Nothing fancy. They are geared for animal feed only which makes it a lot cheaper.

• kmnhiramga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What animals do farmers feed Corn Gluten Meal? Horses, Cows, chickens? Sheep? Goats? or all the above, perhaps that might narrow it down to help me find a product.