Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can't get cgm or sbm

Posted by kmnhiramga 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 07 at 16:10

Hi,
I'm in the metro atlanta area and though I've found plenty of feed and seed stores, I can't find anyone that says they have corn meal gluten or soy bean meal. I can find cracked corn and alfalfa cubes. I've found chicken feed, and other feed but none of it says it is made from Corn Meal or Corn Meal Gluten or Soy Bean Meal.
I did find a store with Bradfield Farms organic fertilizer (made from alfalfa) but it would cost me over $100 to do 20# per 1000 sq feet. and why wouldn't I just do the rabbit feed which is small alfalfa pellets then?
I've ruled out using Milorganite, I don't want that stuff. Anyone have any suggesions? Any one here in Georgia that has found SBM or CGM? I want to put down CGM now to prevent winter weeds.

thanks,
kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can't get cgm or sbm

Alfalfa Pellets or Cubes are an excellent way to feed your lawn/microbes. They are primarily a plant source of nitrogen, Alfalfa Pellets also contain trace minerals and triacontanol, a plant growth promoter. I would suggest you Broadcast 20-50 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft.

Corn Gluten Meal is a great fertilizer, and a so so pre-emergent. Read the post on the main Organic Lawn Care page labeled Corn Gluten Meal revisited.

The feed store I go to also doesn't care SBM, but they will order me a bag. Ask the feed stores if they can order you some.

o

would somebody post a pic of a bag of CGM, or give me a name brand so I could ask a feed store to order it?

o

it would be just a 40 or 50lbs brown bag (for me) with CGM on label. Nothing fancy. They are geared for animal feed only which makes it a lot cheaper.

o

What animals do farmers feed Corn Gluten Meal? Horses, Cows, chickens? Sheep? Goats? or all the above, perhaps that might narrow it down to help me find a product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here