Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nilaa_gw

newbie need help in renovating lawn

nilaa
13 years ago

Hi,

Last month we moved into a house where the lawn needs some work. After rain now i see green growth here and there but lots of brown patches. no weeds. not sure how to start or where to start to fix the lawn.

Do i fertilize, then re-seed ?

I am not sure if i need to aerate or dethatch. can i leave that to be done next spring? and for now just try to fertilize, rake and put seeds?

What kind of fertilizer should i buy?

I am planning to start a veg garden in one end of lawn next year, can i leave that part unfertilized and donot put seeds?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (4)

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

The only way to know if that soil might need to be fed is to have a good, reliable soil test done. You can also dig in with these simple soil tests,
    1) Structure. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. For example, a good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drains� too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer your soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.
    which can help guide you in what more needs to be done.
    Most likely what the soil needs is lots of organic matter.

• nilaa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thankyou will try these soil tests.
    If i need to add organic matter how do i do that? the soil has nice earthy smell but i dont see much of earth worms.

Regarding reseeding for lawn any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

I simply throw as much compost on top of the turf as possible without smotehring the grass, and/or shred the leaves that fall form the trees every year back into the turf, again not so thick that those shredded leaves will smother the grass. You need to add more organic matter to the soil then the Soil Food Web will digest to see a gain in humus levels. Many people think that they add enough but if the humus level does not increase it isn't.

• dchall_san_antonio
    13 years ago

kimmsr is one of the few people in the world of Internet forums who has had good results on a lawn with compost alone. From a simple cost standpoint, I can't make that work for me. I find it much less expense and less hassle to fertilize with ground grains from the feed store. Start with 10 to 20 pounds of something per 1,000 square feet several times per year. Go up from there of you don't like the results. You can go as high as 80 pounds per 1,000 and not hurt anything but sometimes that will smell bad. So that is your range. Don't try this with synthetic fertilizers!!!

Sponsored