Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding Earthworms to the lawn?

Posted by messypotter 6, SE Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 7, 09 at 17:15

this is the first year i've gone organic

I've got goldens, 3 years ago i had a dog diagnosed with epilepsy & to be honest, a massive seizure was triggered after i fertilized the lawn.

Eventually the dog had to be put down as the seizures couldn't be controlled. I quit doing anything with the yard. I swore off chemicals. They did not cause the condition, but they did trigger an event.

The yard is a mess. We had our 17 year cicada invasion last summer resulting in a bumper crop of moles this summer....the yard was torn apart, first by the moles, then by my dogs eating the moles, well, mostly eating, they always brought me a part or two...

In the spring i top dressed with compost, once a month or so i spread rabbit pellets (food) and/or dry molasses (we had rain all summer so the lawn didn't go dormant.)

I just over seeded and added a thin layer of leaf compost.

Can I add earthworms to hopefully get an added bang for the fall or should I just let the native guys take over? If so, are the ones @ the bait shop suitable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding Earthworms to the lawn?

There are probably earthworms in your soil now and once they have enough to eat, they'll start multiplying. I wouldn't add any new ones.

o
RE: Adding Earthworms to the lawn?

Earthworms need organic matter to exist, so if you do not have many or want to add more then you need to know what the amount of organic matter in your soil is since adding more will do not good if there is not enough there to support the population you already may have. Add more organic matter and the earthworms will be there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here