Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell is grass is dead or dormant?

Posted by doopstr (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 4, 10 at 17:43

I planted fescue seed last fall. All was great until this summer. In NJ it was very hot this summer and we received very little rain. By mid July just about the whole area turned brown. Now that it's fall I'm wondering if this area is a loss and needs to be seeded or if it's its going to come back. Is there anyway to tell what is going on with this brown grass?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell is grass is dead or dormant?

It's tough to tell except to see if it comes back after rain and/or watering. What kind of fescue? Tall fescue will stay green longer without water than other cool season grasses, but is less likely to come out of dormancy. Fine fescue can stay dormant for months and snap back.

o

Cool, moist weather will tell you, because it will take more than one or two good, soaking rains before the grass will start to grow again.

o

Thanks for the info. It's a tall fescue.
I watered the area rather heavily for the last week and I'm starting to see some blades come up through the peat moss that I laid down last year when I seeded. Maybe it's going to be okay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here