Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scape_gw

Organic products in CT?

scape
16 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find organic material such as soybean meal, alfalfa, etc. in/near Fairfield CT?

Comments (8)

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

If there is horses/cattle in your area, there are feed/tack stores. This is often your best source for soybeam meal, corn gluten meal and rabbit feed which is largly composed of alfalfa. Many nurseries throughout the country are responding to the increased demand for organic products. Even local hardware stores often carry organic fertilizers.

• sandra_zone6
    16 years ago

Agway will order in soybean meal if they don't have it, they normally will have alfalfa pellets. Call around because I've found their prices vary. The Bethel store normally runs lower than Danbury if you are in upper FC. Home Depot used to carry Ringers, but I haven't seen it the last year or two. Look up Blue Seal Feeds; there are places in Monroe and Litchfield that carry or will order in the Blue Seal Safe n Simple product line. This year I tried a Liquid Worm Poop fertilizer that I found at Home Depot. You're supposed to be able to apply it with their applicators included on the bottle, but I found it wasted too much of my well water. I used an Ortho Hose end sprayer and applied it with rain the the forecast to fill in what well water I didn't use. The lawn seemed to like it. If you apply Alfalfa pellets, you will want to apply them with rain in the forecast and break them apart after they swell up. Soybean meal is my favorite for ease of application and results. Neptune's Harvest fish/seaweed emulsion is a liquid application that I've used multiple times with good results as well. Their website is listed below. I also use Cockadoodle Doo's CGM which is carried by some, but not all Agways and the prices on it vary quite alot.

I've been organic for the past 9 years now with our acre lot. It's very challenging in this part of the country as our sources are few and far between, and what you do locate is quite costly compared to other parts of the country, but it can be done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neptune's Harvest

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

I was in Walmart the other day and they had rabbit food in 25lb bags for $6. The First ingredient was Alfalfa and the second was soybean, then several others.

Im sure this would be fine to use, but If you get some,
    post the list of ingredients before you spread it to make sure it will be okay.

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

I seem to remember the Walmart rabbit food alfalfa pellets coming up on the forum (or perhaps it was on the Composting Forum) before - it's the salt content mentioned as the cautionary note. The ingredient list puts the salt in Walmart's product at 1% or less, if I remember correctly from purchasing a bag of it to do a trial run. Much more cost efficient at a feed & grain type outlet and although prices will vary in different markets, I pay $10+tax for a 50# bag of alfalfa meal pellets (no salt on their short ingredient list).

• mannyl36
    16 years ago

Out Front Farm is in Monroe on Route 25. I am able to get soybean meal, corn gluten meal, cracked corn, and alfalfa pellet and/or meal through them. They do not stock these items in bulk, but Sage will order them for you.

203-261-8499

• scape
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I'm in Norwalk, if I can't find anything closer I'll try your supplier in Monroe.

• vkolte01
    16 years ago

I normally buy SBM, Alfalfa from Benedict's Home & Garden in Monroe (480 Purdy Hill Rd). They normally carry Alfalfa. But for corn meal, SBM you need to special order it.

Mannyl36,
    How much do you pay for all these feeds at Out Front Farm?

• sandra_zone6
    16 years ago

Out Front is fairly pricey, IMO. I have purchased from them in the past, but shop around a bit before heading to them. Just an example, I was looking for Soybean Meal. They can order it for me for 18.00 per 50lb bag. I can buy it elsewhere for 10 - 12.00.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner