Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rexanne_gw

dead grass and weed disaster

RexAnne
13 years ago

Hey there organic lawn people,

I have a neighbor who just moved in to the house behind us last spring. Their lawn had been neglected by the previous owners and became a little weedy. The new owner decided to take of this by drop spreading an unknown weed and feed product. The spread job was not done evenly and he had stripes of untreated lawn which became evident later on as stripes of weeds. The ends of his rows with the drop spreader burned right away. Later in the summer the weather changed from a wet spring to a very dry, hot summer. Now the what was green grass in the treated areas is dead and the weeds are thriving. They mentioned they were going to put down some heavy duty stuff to take care of things. I'm very worried, I'm all organic and my row of raspberries is seven feet from the property line.

I would love to help them but don't want to be "one of those neighbors" I have mentioned what our organic lawn routine is, brought produce over and all that stuff.

I need advice in two areas:

1. how to renovate this lawn

2. how to tell them

Lawn- Kentucky blue grass; dead in stripes with dandelion, annual grass weed, bind weed, queen Ann's lace, oxalises etc. Some places the grass is just gone in others the grass is a mat, easy to pull up. Very few little green blades showing. planted on thin layer of black dirt on clay subsoil 7 years ago. always taken care of with minimal weed and feed and then with nothing for the last year before this spring. They have been spraying some sort of pump the jug and spray wand stuff to no avail.

I'd tell them use CMG but even I can't find it for me (had to switch to SBM)

should they slit seed? or broadcast seed? help me come up with a plan. Resodding is probably not going to happen.

any ideas?

thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored