Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Autumn/Winter Lawn Care

estreya
16 years ago

Hello all! I'm wondering what organic lawn care you all favor in order to best prepare the grass for the coming cold. I'm trying to transition to an exclusively organic approach. So far, all i've done is one application of Corn Gluten Meal at the beginning of August. Should i apply CGM again so soon, or perhaps some alfalfa meal? Lawn pic follows:

{{gwi:1105428}}

Comments (4)

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

We all have different definitions of organic and different opinions about what's the right thing to do. I never use any synthetic materials. If I lived on your lawn I would apply everything I already had in the garage so that I did not carry any organic fertilizers over the winter. If you have no fertilizer now, I would carefully measure the yard and buy enough to apply 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet this weekend and at least one more time toward Thanksgiving. If it looks like you are going to have leftovers, apply it rather than store it. Why? Bugs get into it.

By the way it appears you have at least one fairy circle in your lawn. I see a circular brownish shape in the green about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom and possibly another larger one between the front and the flower bed back by the house. The one in front looks to be 10-12 feet across and is more distinct. These are caused by a fungal "disease." If that is not just an artifact from the photo, I would get some ordinary corn meal down at a minimum of 20 pounds per 1,000 on the entire lawn ASAP. Corn gluten meal is not the same material.

• estreya
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah, if you're referring to those large "rings" (i think there are 2 large and 1 smaller one in the photograph), they're actually tire marks from my mower. The grass IS in awful shape, though, but hopefully fairy rings aren't among its problems.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

If you want to stay completely organic, alfalfa or soybean meal would do just fine. Once soil temperatures fall under 55 they won't work very quickly any longer--the soil's too cold for the organics to decay.

Personally, I think of it as a nice refrigeration over the winter until spring when it starts up again. :-)

I'm not sure what the climate is in SW WA, so you may never get that cold. The closest data I could find was for Lind, WA, which records soil temperatures around 35 in January--not much colder than ours, but no warmer.

My last one of the year, usually around Thanksgiving or so, is synthetic because there's no organic that'll work in eastern PA at that time.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

Ah, if you're referring to those large "rings" (i think there are 2 large and 1 smaller one in the photograph), they're actually tire marks from my mower. The grass IS in awful shape, though, but hopefully fairy rings aren't among its problems.

I see what looks like three rings made from mower rollers. The one that concerns me most is the OTHER one. In the picture it almost touches your bed in the left foreground.