Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

alfalfa meal question and my lawn

v1rt
16 years ago

Hi folks,

Please look at the status of my lawn below which I think was the result of SBM. This is just my opinion because it was only SBM that I applied June 16 or 21. Most of my neighbors have still green lawn with some few dead grass but not as bad as mine. If I apply 20 lbs/1000 sqft of alfalfa meal, will it be able to restore the healthy green?

Thanks,

Ron

{{gwi:1105459}}

{{gwi:1105460}}

{{gwi:1105461}}

{{gwi:1105462}}

{{gwi:1105463}}

{{gwi:1105464}}

{{gwi:1105467}}

Comments (24)

• lawnkidd
    16 years ago

Ron,
    Considering the effects of any organic meal are slow to reap there benefits, Id say after 3 months it would be time for another application of some more SBM, or Alfalfa, or if you really want some more punch drop some CGM. Mix it up a little dont just stick to one meal.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Try spraying unsulfured blackstrap molasses on the lawn after you put down SBM. I get them at wal-mart. I think it is 8 once bottle so try one bottle for front and another for the back. Make sure to mix apple cider vinegar with mollases 50/50 because molasses itself is pretty thick. I use ortho dial at the rate of 2oz for spraying.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I put CGM April 4 and CM on April 28. Then I applied aerated compost tea on May 15. My lawn became really healthy and dark green which started late April until early July. Then mid June, I learned about SBM. I applied it aroud June 16 but after 3 or 4 weeks(late July), I noticed dryness on all my grass blades. I've posted the SBM content here and they told me that it was correct. Here is my previous post about SBM where you will see the contents. It's on the picture somewhere in the middle.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0621342324349.html

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi lou_midlothian_tx. I'm interested. What will unsulfured molasses do to our lawn? And does walmart also sell the apple cider vinegar?

Thanks,

Ron

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sorry I forgot, looks like guys, you are telling me not to buy the alfalfa meal because I have not seen any response about it. :D please let me know.

• grassman84
    16 years ago

I've read that the molasses helps break down the SBM and allow it to work faster. That may be what Lou was referring to.

As far as SBM causing your problem, I dont know. But I applied sbm about three weeks - before applying my lawn looked like yours does now. Now three weeks later it is one of the better looking lawns on the block, nice uniform, dark green color. Maybe the timing (height of summer heat) had something to do with it? Even though 'they' say you can apply grains anytime.

I also get better results from sbm than I do from alfalfa, if that helps at all

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

Maybe the timing (height of summer heat) had something to do with it? Even though 'they' say you can apply grains anytime.

Im also guessing this is/was the problem.

Heavy applications of nitrogen fertilizer applied to (cool season grasses) just prior to the heat of mid-summer can cause severe stress and can result in increased disease problems.

I think your lawn could use the Alfalfa now.

Can you get Kelp Meal?

• okcdan
    16 years ago

Hi Ron,

I'll agree with skoot cat -- I think it's more the timing that's the issue here. You also mention dryness, so what we're talking about is trying to keep your KBG green in the peak of the heat of summer - The soybean meal did not cause your lawn to not be green.

Soybean meal is second only to CGM in percentage of protein as far as grains go. The protein is what the microbes process and convert to usable N for the grassplants.

It's my opinion that your summation that the soybean meal caused your lawn to look like it does is incorrect. There are other (many other) factors to consider. Irrigation & mowing very important factors for KBG during the heat of summer. What were your irrigation & mowing practices during this timeframe? What kind of weather patterns were you dealing with? Days over 100 degrees? Lack of rain? Too much rain? Many folks are also of the opinion that cool season grasses shouldn't be fertilized in the summertime, thinking they shouldn't be being pushed around with too much N, and allowing to grow very slowly to attempt to maintain health while dealing with the heat.

Regarding the comparison of soybean meal to alfalfa meal/pellets, if you apply 15lbs/1000sqft of soybean meal, you'd need approx 40lbs/1000sqft of alfalfa (meal or pellets) to equal the amount of protein (and therefore N) to your lawn.

My 2 cents,

Dan

(As always, my opinions and/or advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.) 8^)

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

You indicated in another thread that your grass grew rapidly in July and August. I'll assume that your lawn was green when its growth rate was "insane" (your word).

We haven't had much rain in NE Illinois during September...much less than an inch per week. Have you been watering your lawn?

The greener lawn next door looks like growth from new seed. If so, that may account for some of the difference in color.

-Deerslayer

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi deerslayer,

Yes, it was rapidly growing on the 3rd-4th week after application of SBM. It was green, dark green, but the blades from what I can tell isn't healthy. It was dry.

I watered deeply once a week. My mower is set at the highest setting.

When September came in, I stopped watering anymore because it already look the same like back in mid-late August. It's because, I was disappointed with the results. However, I just read all your analysis and maybe that it could be it. Now, I'm wondering again why my neighbor's lawn were green. That's the thing that's confusing me so much. Again, I applied 14lbs/1000 sqft of SBM.

Also, I bought 3 50 lbs of alfalfa meal. Is that good enough?

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

"Also, I bought 3 50 lbs of alfalfa meal. Is that good enough?"

Based on my estimate of your lawn size from the pictures that you have posted, I think 150 lbs of alfalfa meal will deliver a good shot of N. Remember that for KGB, you should apply about 3 lbs of N in the fall. In our location, the N should be applied in 3 applications.

BTW, what is the square footage of your lawn?

-Deerslayer

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I remember,my last calc was at 9700 sqft. But now, I put new trees, plants, and playset, I might have reduced it down to 9200.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

Okay, let's use 9,200 sq ft. 150 lbs of alfalfa will deliver about 4.5 lbs (3%) of N. Your application rate is about .5 lbs of N per 1,000 sq ft.

-Deerslayer

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the help folks!!! :)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My friend is going to buy me 3 50 lbs bags of alfalfa next week. He is concerned that it might smell in his garage. Does it have a bad smell?

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

No, it really doesn't have an unpleasant smell. I had a 50# bag in my car trunk for a while and I thought the smell was similar to opening a fresh box of cereal or like being out in the country when fields are being harvested. Now the bag is in my garage and I can't smell it at all.

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

A word of advise: All Grasses should be fed when their actively growing and not under heat or drought stress.

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

If I were to guess why your neighbors have greener lawns, it would be:
    1) They have more drought tolerant grasses....OR
    2) They water with greater frequency.

Like the other poster, I am still not sold on the once-a-week watering in the heat of the summer. That might work for someone who has worked to grow deep roots over the long haul - and who has a good quality soil that retains the moisture - but not if the lawn is new or the soil is poor. \

My one neighbor has a kick-butt lawn, and I call her the "grass whisperer" since she observes the lawn daily and only waters when it needs it. It might be once a week, or it might be every other day. That seems to do the trick for her during the dry months.

My advice to you is to listen to your lawn, not necessarily the well-intentioned people who dispense advice here. They may be right for THEIR lawn, but perhaps not for yours. On top of that, you have no idea how long it took them to get to the point where infrequent watering works. It might have been a process that took place over several years.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That was a great advice rutgers! While I was driving this morning at our street, I thought of what you first mentioned, more drought tolerant grasses. This is why I'm planning to overseed a drought/heat tolerant KBG cultivar on February. And yes, I might have to change my watering habits during summer. I just don't remember how I was watering. And I guess, I shouldn't really suspect that it was SBM's fault. But in fairness for the grass :), I applied SBM when it was actively growing.

I'll follow your advice!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

From lou_midlothian....
    Make sure to mix apple cider vinegar with mollases 50/50 because molasses itself is pretty thick. I use ortho dial at the rate of 2oz for spraying.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I will put the combined molasses and apple cider vinegar in the ortho dial container without water.

I bought Grandma's Unsulphured Molasses. However, I didn't see the word blackstrap. Is it fine?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Disregard, I just used 50/50 directly on the ortho dial container then set it at 2 oz. Once I get my alfalfa, I'm going to apply molasses again.

I'll keep you posted.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Yes, just mix molasses and vinegar only. No water added.

In the past, i've used a mix of molasses, vinegar, humic acid, seaweed and fish liquid in one. Talk about potent stuff... it had funky smell for a while, you know... you could smell a hint of fish, molasses and vinegar at the same time. LOL.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

By the way, I tasted molasses and they very very very good. And the greatest thing is that, I have been thinking/finding what the ingredient was on a delicacy I ate everytime we go up to the mountain province. I didn't know about it for 30 years. But now, I'm sure it's molasses but the one we ate was a bit more thicker as in like solid. Wife confirmed it too! :D

HEHEHE!!!

Sponsored