Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alfalfa Pellets and Grasshoppers

Posted by CPTK (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 20:56

I fertilized exclusively with alfalfa pellets this year and I had an insane number of grasshoppers in the yard. Any connection? I even got praying mantis eggs to try to control them, but although I saw mantises around the yard, they didn't seem able to eat enough grasshoppers to make a difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alfalfa Pellets and Grasshoppers

While Praying Mantids are a predator they are fairly passive in that the insect needs to come within reach of the Mantis. They do not go out on search and capture missions. In some places (where you are would be of some help) insect pests were quite numerous while in other places very few of many of the normal ones appeared.
Insect pest control should never be based on just one method but should include a variety of controls.
Grasshoppers preferred diet is living plants, although they will consume dead and dry plant material as well.

o
RE: Alfalfa Pellets and Grasshoppers

• Posted by CPTK 66441 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 11:37

I'm in northeast Kansas. Zip code is above. Insects are a pretty big problem in my backyard. I think it is due to a few factors. This is new construction that was carved out of the wilderness pretty much. There is still a green belt of forest behind my property that I am sure is teeming with insects. I also let my grass grow very high in the backyard at times. I grow it high as it is per organic guidelines, but I also have been lazy at times and skipped the back on mowing days because my yard is quite large.

At any rate, my wife insists that the pellets are a factor in our insect issues. At first I attributed her concerns to a lack of knowledge of organic lawn care, but when you think about it, alfalfa would be a pretty darn good meal for a grasshopper. Since it is ground up, wouldn't it be especially conducive to sustaining offspring?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here