Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost

Posted by scape (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 07 at 21:18

Silly question: At home depot they sell scotts red & white bags labeled top soil. Is that considered good compost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost

No, even the stuff labeled "Compost" at HD and the other box stores isn't very good compost. The best place to buy compost is at a local nursery or garden center. Buy it in bulk. It's much less expensive that way.

-Deerslayer

o

I agree 100%. If you want compost and find it at a nursery, check the fragrance. It should smell very fresh. Also when you put a little in your hand, you should not see any tiny crystals of sand. Sometimes sand is used as a filler. If you see some, the cost should be considerably discounted.

What are you using it for?

o

I was going to use it as a top dressing over the lawn after seeding. My local nursery sells a compost/peat moss mixture. Is that any good?

o

The reason people use topdressing after seeding is because they are not aware of using a roller. The purpose of the topdressing is to ensure good seed-to-soil contact. If you roll the seed down with a water fillable roller, you get the same effect.

If you are still going to use topdressing, then any topdressing will work. You don't need much at all. Apply at a rate of 2.7 (or 3) cubic feet per 100 square feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here