Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuriooo

Is this a good deal?

kuriooo
15 years ago

Ok, so we are relatively new to organic lawn care - this might be a newbie type question.

I have been spreading CGM rather heavily on our front and back lawn. Three 50# bags cover about 3000 sq ft of lawn, and cost about $30 each.

In my search for soybean meal, I was offered a product that has "soy meal and feathers." No phosphorus, and has a 10-0-6 rating. The local company is producing this instead of soybean meal for the home & garden store. Price is 20/bag, and they claim it covers up to 2500 sq ft.

Does this sound like something I should use instead of CGM, price-wise, or is it likely something that isn't as healthy for the lawn?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Are you using the CGM as a fertilizer or pre emergent?

that sounds like a pretty heavy dosage either way. I think the recommendation for pre emergent is around 20 lbs per 1000 sq ft. As a fertilizer, you could probably go a little lower. If I remember correctly, CGM is about 9% N, so using a single bag on your lawn would be providing 1.5 lbs of actual N per 1000 sq ft.

The soy meal and feathers recommended rate seems a little low, since that would be giving you about .8 lb of N per 1000 sq ft. And the part of that that is from feathers will be VERY slow release. I'd probably use 2 of those bags, for 1 1/3 lbs of N per 1000 sq ft.

If I remembered the N% of CGM correctly, the CGM is a better deal.

That seems like a really low price on the CGM. Is it Corn Gluten Meal or Corn Meal?

• soccer_dad
    15 years ago

Too much of a good thing can be as unhealthy as the wrong product. What was the time period over which you applied the CGM? If all in one application then your nose should have told you something was wrong. The meal and feathers rate seems ok since it works out to 20#/k. Three or four times per year should work just fine. I'm skeptical of a NPK rating on a grain based product. It is about the protein and organic material added to the soil.

• decklap
    15 years ago

Is this CGM you've been getting from a feed store? The price seems to suggest it is. If so it isn't exactly the same thing as CGM hydroslate which is specifically sold and labeled as a pre-m.

The feed store stuff is almost always much much lower in nitrogen. I think the protein content is around 15%. And while the jury is out I haven't read any definitive studies suggesting that regular CGM feed is an effective as CGM hydroslate.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Your turf grass needs 2 pounds of Nitrogen per 1,000 square feet annually to grow quite well, applying more than that simply results in the excess flowing out of the soil into the ground water as a pollutant, even an organic product will do that. To determine how much N is being spread and the cost per 1,000 square feet multiply the percentage of N the manufacturer says is there by the weight of the bag and divide by the number of 1,000 square feet it covers to get a cost comparison. For example a 40 pound bag has 6 percent N so 40 x .06 equals 2.4 pounds of N and this bag is to be spread over 2,500 square feet so divide 2.4 by 2.5 and that equals 0.96 so you would be applying (if done properly) just under 1/2 the amount needed and if you mulch mow and leave the grass clippings to feed the lawn (1/2 the annual nutrient requirement) you have applied all the fertilizer needed for a good, healthy lawn.
    Applying more than 1 pound per 1,000 square feet at any one time is a waste of your money since what is not used by the lawn will be washed out of your soil.