Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to grow under the retaining wall

Posted by paulsiu IL (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 10 at 7:29

Part of my yard is beneath a retaining wall. There's an area of about 6-8 feet before it runs into the woods at the edge of a man-made wetland. The area is not high traffic, but tons of animals do come in and out of the woods. Grass currently grow there but I some of it appears to be dying in some areas. The area gets partial sun in the summer and more light when the leaves fall off the trees. In some of the area, it's pretty dark. Occasionally, the wetland overflows and the area is underwater for a day or two, but most of the time it is dry.

What sort of grass do you suggest? I do live out in Northern IL, so the grass will have to be some sort of winter variety. I think we get anywhere from 1.6 to 4.6 inch of average rainfall per month. I was thinking of a tall fescue variety for low mainteance and may be some sort of creeping fescue for the low light area, but was wondering if the ocassional flooding will kill the deep roots?

I am also open to ground cover like clover.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to grow under the retaining wall

Hate to sound dense, but what do you mean, under a retaining wall?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here