Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pushmower38

Fertilizing sod

pushmower38
11 years ago

This is my first post after some heavy duty lurking over the last 6 months. I have learned a lot here and thanks to all who post replies on this forum. A little background... I have been struggling with thin grass, soil compaction, crabgrass, broad-leaf weeds and patch disease over the last several years while following a traditional chemical weed & feed approach and (I now realize) poor cultural practices (esp. mowing too low and watering too frequently). Decided to make the shift to organic this fall. Living on a corner lot, my lawn is divided into several sections. The sunny areas were so taken over with weeds and dead grass from patch disease that they had to be replanted. In mid Sept., I had all the sunny sections raked out and brought in several yards of a 50/50 mix of topsoil and compost. Then added an organic fertilizer (made by Jonathan Green), then rolled the dirt, then installed sod, rolled again and watered. The sod is loving it. It is deep green, and thick with no seam lines and is rooted into the soil. After about 3 weeks, it reached 5-6" in height, so I mowed it using the highest setting on my mower.

Now to my question ... should I fertilize again with the Jonathan Green before winter? As I said, the sod was put down in mid-Sept so it has been in for one month now. I live in southern Westchester County, NY. It seems like the grass usually stops growing around here sometime in November. (Fyi, the Jonathan Green fertilizer is made out of bone meal, feather meal, blood meal, fish meal and molasses.)

Many thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor