Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic Without Watering

Posted by mop708 none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 10:02

I'm considering going organic next year, but I had a couple questions. I tend to just let my lawn go dormant in the summer months - after a few $300/month water bills, I decided that I could go without the green lawn for a couple months.

I'm assuming that the process wouldn't be much different than a chemical program. I currently only fertilize when the grass is actively growing. Would this be the same for an organic program? Is there any reason to not let an organic lawn go dormant? Would organic be better for someone who lets his lawn go dormant?

I've read the faq and it only states that watering deeply and infrequently is important, but doesn't really mention anything about letting the lawn go dormant.

Also, I did do a soil test last year and the organic material was in the range it should be in (I don't remember off hand what the actual value was).

Thanks for any input!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic Without Watering

• Posted by mop708 5b Chicago Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 14:59

I'd just like to add that I found my soil analysis from last year and my organic matter is at 4.5%.

Taking into account my lack of watering, does anyone think I'd see better results by going organic.

By the way, I'm in zone 5b - south suburbs of Chicago.

o

Organic is better for someone like yourself, who lets their lawn 'rest' or go dormant during extreme conditions of heat, btw, other posters will ask your whereabouts, that is handy info.
Organic fertilizers can be applied anytime of year and there is little chance of harming your lawn. The watering methods you have read about will encourage the plant roots to dig deeper down for their water which will make them more drought tolerant, which can also mean a shorter dormancy period.

o

Grasses have been growing for eons without the help from us and they have been going dormant during the hot and dry summer with no harm to the grasses. The only reason lawns today are managed to be green during the normal summer dormant period is because someone has sold a majority of us on the idea that grass should be green when it normally wants to be dormant.
Except for the social stigma that may be applied allowing a lawn to go dormant probably is more organic then pouring as much water on the lawns as we do would be.

o

As I read more about organic lawn care, it seems that I would actually be better off going organic. From what I've read, organic lawn care makes the soil better for taking and holding water. So when it does rain, my soil will actually get more of a benefit from it.

o

A well known point about soils with adequate levels of organic matter is that they soak up and hold much more water than do soils with little organic matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here