Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomp123_gw

Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?

tomp123
9 years ago

I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high with a mulching mower, apply corn gluten in the spring and use natural fertilizers the rest of the year. I have never used chemical herbicides, and have learned to live with a certain amount of weeds. The result, however, is a large yard that is slowly being taken over by Creeping Charlie. From what I've read in this forum, there is no organic solution for this problem, so every year at this time I am tempted to try a chemical herbicide to bring my Creeping Charlie under control. I've read that Ground Ivy can be effectively controlled by Ortho Clover, Chickweed, and Oxalis Killer. The active ingredient in this product is Triclopyr, which seems relatively safe based on the research I've been able to do online. It doesn't seem to have been linked to any cancers, it doesn't seem to contaminate groundwater, and it doesn't seem to be toxic to birds or bees. So can any of you convince me not to use this product now and then? I don't know what else to do.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling