Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two Questions

Posted by mr_bill_e Chicago, IL (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 13:40

I have two questions. My location is NW side Chicago.

1) Anyone know where CGM is cheap? I paid $40 for a 50LB bag - I'm pretty sure I paid waaay to much. Also, not just CGM, but CM too. I don't mind driving a little out of the way, so long as I'm getting somewhat of a deal (certainly not $40/50lbs!!).

2) This questions relates to the health of my lawn. Perhaps I have neglected it - Here is the deal. The lawn was sodded in June. It look great through July until roughly the first half of August. During that period, I fertilized with Milorganite - looked good. However, I have since fertilized again (early September), and the appearance of the lawn has not changed from it's condition from about mid-august to present; it went from lush green to light green, with a substantial portion of the blades going yellow. I'm pretty certain i'm watering enough. 1-inch per watering, once a week, or as it has gotten cooler once every two weeks. Even with the fertilizing and watering though, it doesn't seem to be doing any better. Any ideas?

Part of my problem is that the back lawn is 1800 Sq Ft., so doing anything other than Milorganite has been expensive (see question 1).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for you time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two Questions

See if this link helps find a store for you. Any ground grain at 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet should work.

People from Ohio used to report here that they were finding 100 pounds of CGM for under $10.00. Pretty crazy price. I have not heard that for a couple years, though.

o

You're not going to find CGM for cheap anywhere in
the city or the closer burbs.

Was the sod put down in an area with lots
of shade?

o

The Elburn Co-op sells CGM. Last year it was going for $12.95 for 50lbs.

Elburn is West of Chicago. The West line of the Chicago & North Western ends there.

Here's a link:

Elburn Co-op

You can call for the current price. BTW, they also sell SBM.

-Deerslayer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here