Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic Self Leveling yard?

Posted by fescue_planter NE (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 13:46

My yard in spots is... well, lumpy. Probably due to the fact that rain during the long germination time for fescue created ruts and bumps and so forth. I've read ("Teaming with Microbes") that a good healthy acre of soil contains a population of earthworms that can effectively transport 15-20 tons of soil per year. Bringing me to my question: over time will a healthy organically fed lawn self level itself? Or will it happen regardless? Or will it forever be lumpy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic Self Leveling yard?

I'm going to guess that someone tilled the soil prior to seeding or sodding. If so, it will be forever lumpy if left alone. Tilling is commonplace due to the fact that just about every source for lawn preparation tells you to do it. The problem with tilling is getting the density of the soil the same everywhere afterwards. If the tiller goes a little deeper in one spot, then the soil will be fluffier at a deeper level right there. When the soil settles, it will settle lower and give you a "hole." If you really have to level the soil in preparation, the only satisfactory tool is a landscaper's box blade pulled behind a real tractor (not a bobcat or a skidsteer). The problem with the bobcat and skidsteer is they short wheelbase and high center of gravity amplify the rocking motion of the machine when it hits a high or low spot. A tractor will roll over and actually smooth out the little hills and valleys. But that's all water under the bridge for you.

One relatively easy approach to leveling is to run a plug aerator over the lawn and sweep the plugs from the high spots to the law spots to melt. Run it much more heavily over the high areas and don't run it at all over the low spots. You can do this three times a year to level your lawn without really harming anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here