Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? on overseeding in Dec. and fertilizing again before winter

Posted by natureperson 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 13:54

Can I go ahead and put one more round of fertilizer down in November before winter comes? I use organics so could use soybean meal or alfalfa. Also, since I missed the fall overseeding timeframe, I plan to seed in December when they say it is the second best time to overseed. Should I use Winterizer at the time I overseed? I've read that people use that instead of other things around that time? However, is it organic and where do I purchase it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? on overseeding in Dec. and fertilizing again before winter

Can I go ahead and put one more round of fertilizer down in November before winter comes? I use organics so could use soybean meal or alfalfa.

Yes, but depending on temperatures don't expect much until spring. My last round of organics went down nine days ago and I don't expect that much of that will tap out until temperatures rise in March and early April.

Decay continues at any reasonable temperature (even down below freezing due to the cryophiles in the soil), but it's very slow under fifty degrees soil temperature and extremely slow under forty. Hey, stuff goes bad in my fridge, which is set at 36.

Should I use Winterizer at the time I overseed? I've read that people use that instead of other things around that time? However, is it organic and where do I purchase it?

Personally, I'd wait until after the typical January thaw just to make sure that the seed doesn't decide to sprout on you and then freeze out. For KBG that's less of an issue since it takes forever to sprout, for ryegrass much more as it sprouts fast.

Winterizer is not an organic (see above; lower temperatures render organics mostly useless during winter). Technically, it's also the wrong mix (midrange nitrogen, midrange potassium, no phosphorous).

Either don't fertilize and do it in spring, or don't fertilize at all until your normal one. Seeds contain everything they need for the first bit, and if you feed organically you have some nutrients charged into the soil.

o
RE: ? on overseeding in Dec. and fertilizing again before winter

Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here