Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kossetx

turf soil rebuilding

kossetx
16 years ago

I would like to make my soil better. I have a sandy top layer with red clay under that. I know I can never turn it into something it cannot be, but want to do all I can.

Can a plant a cover crop into my turf? Will rye grass help or what is there I can use? Should I add cotton seed meal and if I do will the field mice overrun me? I can get CSM add the feed store in bulk and it is about the same price as chemical fertalizer. Is there anything else a country feed store might have that will help. When you talk to most rural feed stores they act if your nuts talking organics. Any help would be appreciated. Mark

Comments (7)

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

There are a few things you can do now with little or no money involved.

Mulch mow all your fall leaves. Be sure you really chop them up. Go over them twice if you need to. This will add some organic matter and nutrients to your soil.

Spread Used Coffee Grounds on your yard @ 10-20lbs per 1000sqft. (available for free at Starbucks)

If you make your own compost and your yard is small, spread it over the yard @ 1/4" thickness. If you have a large lawn you could make compost tea. Some counties offer compost for free, or low price.

Last but not free: Any feed grain will add organic matter to your soil. Corn Meal, Soybean Meal, Alfalfa, etc, etc.

When you talk to most rural feed stores they act if your nuts talking organics

Don't worry, your not alone on this one. They all give you that look when you tell them your putting it on your lawn.

What grains does your local feed store carry?

Have you read the link below yet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Lawn Care FAQ

• jlaak5
    16 years ago

Funny you mention the reaction you receive @ the feed mill! The last time I went to the feedmill to get my SBM the guy behind the counter called up 2 other guys just to tell them what I planned to do with the SBM. They all looked at me like I was from another planet!! I simply invited them to come and take a look at my lawn!

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Funny you mention the reaction you receive @ the feed mill!

Ditto. Then two of my neighbors started showing up. Then my parents. Then several of their neighbors once they saw the effect on the lawn...

By this time, they're probably used to it.

Cottonseed meal is fine, and mulch-mow your grass! It's the best free organic out there.

• alabama_lowlife
    16 years ago

i've never mentioned what i need it for when i pick up SBM. although i figure one day they will ask. my wife's uncle works there so i don't think it'll cause too much of a stir lol.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

"Do you know what my crazy nephew-in-law uses this stuff for?"

:-)

• kossetx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the replies folks! I should have mentioned it, but I always mulch grass and leaves where they lie. I also add to that. So far this October I've picked up about 75 bags of leaf/lawn trimmings from curbside. I'll probably get 75 more this fall. I just pile them up and let them rot. I also have a 6" wood chipper that I mulch scrub trees with. I mix that with cattle manure. Even with doing all that every year there is still not enough to cover the yard and all my plants.

Any advice on the cover crops ? I'm going to replant rye this year but I thought I might be better to add something else.

• kossetx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scoot Cat, I forgot to mention, I live in the land of cotton so cotton seed meal is used a lot to feed cattle. It's about 300.00 a ton. I've never asked about anything else. I will though. Is anything better than another?

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists