Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nami_gw

Should I fertilize with CGM ?

nami
16 years ago

Hello everyone, I was wondering if its time to put down CGM. I live in central florida and up until last week our temps were in the high 80s. Now in a few weeks our temperatures will be highs around 82 and lows around 68.

Is this a good time to put down CGM? I have St. Augustine in the front yard and Bahia in the backyard.

This is my first attempt at organic lawn care. I'd appreciate all the guidance.

Thanks.

Nami

Comments (11)

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

From what I have seen, there is not bad time to put down CGM. I am nearly convinced that it is the best organic fertilizer out there. There is a group here that is excited about soy bean meal, but my tests have shown CGM to be an insanely good fertilizer.

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

CGM is good but no better than SBM as a fertilizer. When you consider the cost there is no comparison between the two, SBM is a lot less expensive.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

SBM is untouchable where I live. It's $40 for 20 pounds. CGM costs me $20 for 40 pounds. Both are beyond what I want to spend and both are insanely good fertilizers. I use whole ground corn because it's more like $6 for 50 pounds.

One of the cool things about using organic fertilizers is you can apply any of them on any day of the year. Living in Florida you will actually see results in 3 weeks even in the winter. Soil temps need to be above 50 degrees F to see results. Soil temps usually follow the night time low temps so you're good to go. The only precaution is to not use too much or it will smell bad for a week. A good rate is 10-20 pounds with 20 being a max for the high protein content of CGM or SBM.

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

dchall......If I recall, didn't the CGM studies conclude that the best results were with 40 pounds per 1,000 feet? That is a lot, ugh.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

40 pound per 1,000 square feet PER YEAR. Preferably it was applied several times.

• nami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Where can I find soybean meal or CGM? There is a cattle feed store in orlando and I could go there. By what trade/brand name should I ask for soybean meal or CGM

Thanks,
    Nami

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

Trade name? There is no trade or brand name. It is sold as Soybean Meal and Corn Gluten Meal. Well sort of CGM if sold as fertlizer will have an organic tag on it for ISU and you will be charged 2 to 4 times as much for the privilage.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

I pay $8.90 for 50lbs bag of soybean. Around 6-7 dollars for alfalfa pellets and corn meal for 50lbs. I think its 14 dollars for CGM in 40lbs bags but who wants to deal with yellow shoes after applying CGM?

• nami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I located a feed store that could order a bag of soybean meal for me within a week. Will a 50lb bag suffice? If I use a regular spreader to apply it what setting do I need to apply it at?

Thanks,
    Nami

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

Nami....How much property do you have?

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

Nami 50-lb of SBM will cover just over 3000/ft2. You apply SBM at a rate of 13 to 15-pounds per 1000/ft2

Sponsored