Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mscottw2

Bermuda.... the organic way

mscottw2
16 years ago

I have recently established a new Bermuda lawn and it has filled in nicely. I also know that I'm supposed to be feeding my Bermuda nitrogen every month.

Well, I've decided to switch to an organic program, but I'm a bit confused how I'm supposed to get the high nitrogen every 30-45 days with an organic program.

I put down Milorganite about a month ago, and now I'd like to switch to a "true" organic fertilizer like cgm.

I was just curious what most of you do with your Bermuda.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

You might look for blood meal in 50-pound bags. Ground grains are going to be a problem getting that much protein. Or another way to look at the fertilizer issue is this: the recommendations for fertilizing bermuda are not carved in stone. You can do what you can afford or want to do.

You might also consider feather meal. Feathers have a LOT of protein but they decompose very slowly. You'd be applying now for next spring.

• okcdan
    16 years ago

I use soybean meal @ 15lb/1000sqft every 4 wks for the last 2 years now with very good results. See "my page" for pics.

Good day, Dan

• mscottw2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

okcdan, that lawn looks phenomenal! Unfortunately the feed store doesn't carry SBM. I can get CM, CGM, or cracked corn at very good prices. I haven't checked yet on the blood meal.

I believe he carries just about everything else though.

I have been using a quick release Urea at half strength every 2 weeks to get the high N it needs. Have I been killing the microbes? Or better question should I go with another round of compost. First round was about 3 months ago when I planted the seed.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

CGM is great if it's cheap.

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

Welcome aboard

Corn Gluten Meal would be an excellent choice for feeding bermuda. Again if you can afford monthly feedings.

I might get beat up for this one, but here goes.

The Scotts Co. makes an organic fert. The main ingredients that provide nitrogen are feather meal and blood meal. You could alternate between the two. (CGM and Scotts)

The CM and Cracked corn is a too mild for feeding bermuda.

• mscottw2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Has anyone every heard of any health concerns with the blood meal?

• okcdan
    16 years ago

I haven't heard of any concerns using blood meal, but I know it's typically awfully expensive... prohibitively expensive.

I'd say if your local feed store carries all those other items, they can likely get soybean meal from their supplier. Just ask em....

For me, I use the soybean meal because it's about half the cost of CGM. I pay around $10 for a 50lbs bag of soybean meal, but last time I checked, it was $19.80 for a 50lb bag of CGM..... If your cost for the 2 is comparable, then go for the CGM, it's got the highest protein content of all the feed grains. :)

Good day, Dan

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

Some places you can get blood meal in 50-pound bags for a lot less than you might think. Prices vary.

HOLY COW DAN! Your page is an illustrated crash course in organic bermuda lawn care! BRILLIANT!!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH