Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyx123

beneficial nematodes for grubs and cool weather

andyx123
9 years ago

Found grubs after aerating. Interested in using beneficial nematodes:

1. Can they be applied during fall (temps are getting into the 50's)?

2. Where do they sell them? I looked around my local home depot and did not see anything.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

You can find beneficial nematodes on line. There is some question, however, if they can survive the shipping and they can be fairly expensive. Milky Spore Disease, now "Paenibacillus popilliae" formerly "Bacillus papillae", may be a better choice, next year.
    Is it necessary to do anything at all? Do you have more than 5 grubs per square foot?

• andyx123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I'd say there is more than 5 grubs per sq ft. I'd say at least 8-10. Some patches of lawn basically rolled like a carpet while aerating. Also, japanese beetles hit pretty hard the roses near my lawn this year (don't japanese beetles start as a grub too?)

thanks.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

in my MI ... the grubs are the beetles ...

i was never impressed with nems.. as a solution .... BUT!!!! ... i never tried them ....

with bugs like this... the populations ebb and flow over the years .... is this the first time you have noticed them????

ken

• andyx123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes first time I notice them. Lawn is about 4 years old.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Japanese beetles do come from some of the grubs found in soils, as do other members of the scarab beetle family.
    However, a large number of Japanese beetles in your garden does not necessarily equal a large number of grubs in the soil. If there are large numbers of grubs in the soil timing of controls is essential since some work best when the grubs are fairly young while others might work on older and larger grubs.
    Applying Milky Spore Disease is best done in late July to early August (before the grubs hatch from the eggs laid) so it is in place when the grubs hatch. Milky Spore Disease is a passive method of control, the grubs must find and ingest the bacterium, which is why some "authorities" consider it to be not very effective. MSD does not immediately kill, but it also does not kill beneficial soil organisms.
    I find little information about when to apply beneficial nematodes except one reference to temperatures in the 45 to 105 range. Many sources (sellers) also suggest applying them every two weeks, which can get to be very expensive.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus