Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fidgiegirl

Newbie to Mulching Leaves Into Lawn

fidgiegirl
14 years ago

Hi all

The folks on GardenWeb have been so helpful in the past and I hope you can help again.

I am just starting to research mulching leaves back into the lawn with the mower. My husband is open to trying this, which will be a very new way for him to think about fall lawn care, but I want to be pretty sure I understand it so I don't blow it!

1) Am I right to say that as long as some of the grass is still showing, you can mulch quite a volume of leaves into the grass? Or is it better to err on the side of fewer leaves?

2) Some pages say to add a nitrogen source. I kind of get that from our initial forays into composting, but is it totally necessary? And if so, what is that source? Is that the corn meal everyone talks about?

3) Also, he has heard that putting old beer on the lawn will help it. Old wives tale? If not, what is the science behind that?

Thanks everyone. We will be very happy to have an improved lawn and avoid that dreaded trip the municipal compost to boot. I only hope that someday I can have the expertise to help people on here like they have helped me!

Comments (12)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

The turf grass students studying under Joe Vargas at Michigan State University in the 1980's mulch mowed 8 inches of leaves into a test plot of turf and found the following spring that plot of grass grew greener, thicker, faster than plots synthetically fertilized. I mulch mowed a fairly large amount of leaves yesterday and when done saw the area was brown but experience tells me that in a few days that will change and the grass will be the only thing I see unless I go down there and look and then I will see a lot of worm castings. Mulch mow as many leaves as your mower allows into your grass.
    There is no reason to add any Nitrogen because the leaves will have ample amounts.
    There is no real benefit to spraying beer on your lawn except the alcohol reverts back to the sugars it came from and that stimulates the bacteria to rapidly digest what Organic Matter is in the soil and so could help dpelete your soil of that necessary Organic Matter.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Kim,

Probably not where new houses are... Often poor soil. Organic fertilizer would be much better choice...

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Lou, since it takes the Soil Food Web to make the nutrients in organic fartilizers available to the plants, and since the Soil Food Web needs organic matter to live and work why would organic "fertilizers" be a better choice then mulch mowing leaves into the soil? I have seen earthworms appear, seemingly from nowhere since none were found in the soil before, once leaves were mulch mowed into the soil. Leaves are free while any "fertilizer" costs money, and leaves are a better choice for the soil then any "fertilizer".

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

This article from Fine Gardening magazine may be of some help, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don't Rake your leaves

• rdak
    14 years ago

No lou, organic matter first, then organic fertilizer IMHO.

• bgtimber75
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. I mulch my grass clipping into my lawn all spring and summer long but when fall comes I mow over and bag my leaves (lot of trees and a lot of leaves) My first year in the house I tried to mulch them but it just seemed like it was leaving too on the ground and I feared bare spots come spring. So this really shouldn't be a concern of mine come this fall?

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

I don't have that many leaves, but if you follow an organic program, there should be enough microbes in your soil that the leaves will disappear pretty quickly. I was sick about the time the last of my leaves fell last fall and didn't get them mowed well in my back yard, but other than that, they all disappeared. A couple of years ago, I got bags of leaves from neighbors who have more leaves, dumped them on my lawn and mowed them in and they all disappeared.

• bgtimber75
    14 years ago

Hmmm, well I'm just going organic as of this spring, previously had been on Chemlawn the past 4 years. I wonder if a sufficient amount of microbes will be built up by the fall? Like I said though I've always mulched my grass clippings so there should be at least allowed some organic material and microbes in the soil.

I do know that the ones that I don't get a chance to mow or rake in the fall always compact on the ground and leave me with bare spots come spring time.

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

If you've already started on the organic approach, by fall, you should have plenty of microbes in the soil. If the leaves start piling up and don't get digested between mowings, you can rake some of them after mulching a few times. Even if you have to rake this year, by next year, you probably won't have to do so.

• whammytap
    8 years ago

I'm going to try this this year, too. We're trying to go as organic as possible, with the exception of the chemical warfare we're waging on the crab grass. A bag or two of composted cow manure sprinkled across the lawn will do wonders to replenish any enzymes that might have been killed off by chemicals. Before chemical fertilizers were invented, this is largely how the English maintained those gorgeous lawns around big castles and estates.

• maidinmontana
    8 years ago

I always have a pile of leaves in the far NE corner of my lawn, as my apple tree refuses to drop a leaf until there is already snow on the ground. When the snow and ice melt in the spring, I move the leaves around to dry out then I mow them in. I have never experienced bare spots, though I can see how it could happen, due to lack of light, oxygen etc. I am happy to report the NE corner of my lawn is as plush, green and healthy as the rest of my lawn.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions