Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Organic lawn care, soil tests, and soil improvements

rutgers1
16 years ago

As I continue to transition to a more organic approach, I am wondering if I will have to be EXTRA vigilant about testing my soil or if I could actually test LESS often.

Here is my thinking:

1) If you are using synthetic, you can be pretty sure that your grass is getting enough N,P,K.

2) If you are going organic, I am wondering if I will need tests to make sure that I get the right amount of the three. And if I were only putting something like soy bean meal down, won't I run into a major P and K deficit at some point?

Comments (4)

• billhill
    16 years ago

1) If you are using synthetic, you can be pretty sure that your grass is getting enough N,P,K. I think thatÂs a true statement. The P and the K requirements are dictated by accurate soil analysis. And you control the amounts of NPK applied.
    2) If you are going organic, I am wondering if I will need tests to make sure that I get the right amount of the three. And if I were only putting something like soy bean meal down, won't I run into a major P and K deficit at some point? I have heard and believe that soil testing is far less important with an organic lawn care program. I like to diversify the organics by using corn meal, soybean meal and alfalfa pellets. All the autumn leaves get mulched into the lawn and piled onto the beds. Homemade compost gets spread across most of the lawn throughout the summer and fall as it becomes available. I donÂt worry about NPK at all. My KBG lawn is very dark and thick. Now the fine fescue in the shady areas is a still a challenge but is much better than when chemical fertilizers were used exclusively and the leaves went to the landfill (or to my horror, burned). Bill Hill

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

Synthetic fertilizer has N, P, and K. Organic fertilizer has everything in it to include all the trace minerals not included anywhere else.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

1) If you are using synthetic, you can be pretty sure that your grass is getting enough N,P,K.

I've always wondered about the N part of that, anyway. One good heavy rain after feeding and what percentage washes away? Nobody seems to know. You can lose K the same way, but at least the P binds a bit better and only leaves via erosion.

2) If you are going organic, I am wondering if I will need tests to make sure that I get the right amount of the three. And if I were only putting something like soy bean meal down, won't I run into a major P and K deficit at some point?

I'm debating about bothering with it myself. The optimal nutrient proportion is around 4-1-2, with soybean being 7-1-2 (or 7-2-1, reports differ). However, there's a point where close enough is good enough, and 7-1-2 should be in that range.

Besides, all the happy bacteria and fungi will be supplying P and K from mineral sources that a synthetically-fed lawn won't have available to nearly that extent.

My philosophy tends to be that if it looks good and grows well, it is good. If I have a problem, then I start looking deeper.

• decklap
    16 years ago

Depending on the test N levels can vary widely
    in a very short period of time. A better indicator,
    for my money anyway, is amount of organic matter in
    the soil.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio